Crazy Express Issue

So, this is fixed, but I had a problem with our Express 48/96 this afternoon that beat any other I've seen on it yet.

Got to the theatre this afternoon, had everybody turning on all the equipment, and I get a call that the board has lost its patch.

I go up to check on it, and sure enough, it has mysteriously reverted to the "standard" beginning patch. Nobody else has the key to the room, and it was over the weekend, so I'm 99% sure it wasn't tampered with. But the clock and date were still correct.

As I'm repatching, I notice that the entire right half of the fader section will not work. That's 48 sliders completely useless. Called ETC, they said it was a hardware issue, called my supply house, they said to bring it by sometime.

Then, I noticed that instead of channels 49-72 still being 49-72 on the screen, they showed up as 25-48. When I noticed this, I though for a second, and then said "Wait, it's behaving like it's an Express 24/48." Sure enough, looked at the firmware, and it showed Express 24/48. Rebooted the board, and it worked normally.

Any guesses as to how on earth this happened???

If it's going through an identity crisis, I'd rather it thought it was a 250, though. ;)

Last edited:
Nice edit, Footer ;)

No, that would have been too easy. I still had to repatch it :p

Another possibility is that the console was deep cleared (by choice or by hardware malfunction). Immediately after the console is deep cleared, it will think that it is a 24/48 regardless of type. A reboot restores the console to the proper type.

Is it possible for a power surge to do this? Because there were a few lightning storms last weekend....

Is it possible for a power surge to do this? Because there were a few lightning storms last weekend....

Yes, it is possible for that to have happened. Lightning can do some strange things.

Yes, it is possible for that to have happened. Lightning can do some strange things.

Surge suppressor & battery back up uninterruptible power supply...
Not as sure a protection as unplugging before the storm.
Say's the guy from California.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back