Design Creating Custom Glass Gobos as an Alternative to Projected Digital Images?

I'm working as the assistant lighting designer for a production of Shaw's Mrs. Warren's Profession going up in April. The designer wants to project images (an English cottage gable, for example) that look as if they were sketched. We are considering using digital projectors, but I have been sent to look into other options.

So, I was wondering:

• Can custom glass gobos be created to provide this sort of "sketched" quality?

• If so, can they be home-made without costing too much, or is that really only something that can be done at a manufacturer?

• And finally, how would one go about making these at home, if such a process is even an option?
For an example or three of what I mean by "sketched quality", I present some of Sir John Tenniel's pen-and-ink sketches (Alice in Wonderland), which the designer used as examples for the director for this aspect of the show.

Alice and Cards.jpgDrink Me.pngCatepillar.gif

Short of traveling to Corning, NY to blow your own glass*, I don't know of any way you could make a custom glass gobo. I believe Kelite posted a video here a while back showing the intricate process that Apollo uses to manufacture their gobos - but in short, there's no way you could make one without thousands of dollars of equipment. In all honesty, for that level of detail, I don't think you'd be satisfied with a custom glass gobo, not because the companies can't make it that good, but because getting everything perfectly sharp with no stretching of the image will be very time-consuming. Projection seems to be the way to go on this one, in my opinion.

*It's actually a lot of fun, and the information is fascinating, especially for lighting designers/technicians. If you ever get a chance, go!

Yup, you could get those done in glass without an issue. EDLT Source 4's would be in order. Also, the longer the throw the better (say a 26 deg or so). Also, get 2 made of each piece of art. After setup charges, the second one does not really cost all that much. I have seen custom glass gobos blow apart in fixtures more then once. There is also always the imagepro route for a DIY.

As far as cutting glass gobos yourself... I am sure it can be done. However, if you have never etched and colored glass its not really something you can pick up. Getting your hands on the glass that can take the heat and not crack is another issue.

Also, if budgets are tight, don't forget about good 'ol slide projectors. Not as bright as a glass gobo in a S4 or a (good) video projector, but I've used them with success in some applications. You can print your own slides (they may be a little grainy) on transparency film and buy snap-together slide frames. I've even wired a rheostat into the crossfader outlet on a projector to have dimming control. Note that the lamps are low-voltage (85v or something) so you can't run them from a dimmer, but if it's a kodak projecter designed to work with a cross fade unit, two of the pins on the back are simply in line from the power source to the lamp (in and out, if you will) and you can put a dimmer switch in line.

Also, if budgets are tight, don't forget about good 'ol slide projectors. Not as bright as a glass gobo in a S4 or a (good) video projector, but I've used them with success in some applications. You can print your own slides (they may be a little grainy) on transparency film and buy snap-together slide frames. I've even wired a rheostat into the crossfader outlet on a projector to have dimming control. Note that the lamps are low-voltage (85v or something) so you can't run them from a dimmer, but if it's a kodak projecter designed to work with a cross fade unit, two of the pins on the back are simply in line from the power source to the lamp (in and out, if you will) and you can put a dimmer switch in line.

These might look really freaking cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back