custom snakes

AlexD

I am looking for an 8 way 30-40m 1/4" jack to 1/4" jack snake. I am haveing no luck at this time and i was wonding dose anyone know of a company in the UK that dose custom snakes? I would make it my self but i am awefull at soldring.

You could try Whirlwind, I know they have a European operation, but I'm not positive if they do custom work over there. It would suprise me if they didn't though. They are a little on the expensive side but they are nice products, even some of their lower end stuff that is made in China is still high quality.

Rob

I would make it my self but i am awefull at soldring.

There's no better way to learn...I say make it yourself. Practice, practice, practice! It'll benefit you in the long run (skill-wise) and you'll feel more confident in your abilities.

I'd like to know the application, as that is a mighty peculiar thing to need. (Plus, you did not specify whether you want TS or TRS).

Well as some people will know i am getting a profeshnol in to design a sound system for a theata, but now i am doing it and i have a friend to help mme to it (who is a profeshnol). What i am doing is haveing the amp rack down by the stage to save on speakon cables and complcated multi core design, i was going to get an 8 chanlee multi core jack box but i cant find one and it is rather unnessery so i figer that a simple jack - jack snake would do fine. I was looking at the sound board i am planing on getting, the soundcraft spirt lx7 24 chanle board, and the outputs for the main L&R annd mono are xlr can i cant see any other main outs, all the osundboards i have exsperance with use 1/4" jack outs for its main L&R and mono, so i might need to re-think this.

And, becaus it is for speakers and i am going to be seting it all up in mono, TS would be sutable right? TRS is for stero? Im not very clear on these two terms, the ring is for right audio so if ur doing mono your dont need right you only need left audio. That is i think.

Last edited:
Well as some people will know I am getting a professional in to design a sound system for a theatre, but now I am doing it and I have a friend to help me do it (who is a professional). What I am doing is having the amp rack down by the stage to save on speakon cables and complicated multi core design, I was going to get an 8 channel multi core jack box but I cant find one and it is rather unnecessary so I figure that a simple jack - jack snake would do fine. I was looking at the sound board I am planing on getting, the Soundcraft Spirit lx7 24 channel board, and the outputs for the main L&R and mono are XLR and I can't see any other main outs, all the soundboards I have experience with use 1/4" jack outs for its main L&R and mono, so I might need to re-think this.

And, because it is for speakers and I am going to be setting it all up in mono, TS would be suitable right? TRS is for stereo? I'm not very clear on these two terms, the ring is for right audio so if you're doing mono you don't need right you only need left audio. That is I think.

REAL consoles have XLR outputs, preferably on all outputs, but definitely for the main LR stereo bus.

TS is always a mono, unbalanced signal.
TRS can either be a stereo, unbalanced signal or a mono, balanced signal. Where separate left and right sockets are provided on equipment of reasonable reputation, chances are they are balanced, though the manual will normally confirm this.

I don't know what amps you have that use 6.5mm inputs, do they also have XLR ins?

For what you are doing, I'd be running an XLR snake and keeping it balanced the whole way... If you HAVE to, use FXLR-6.5 adaptors or cables at the amp end...

ye the amp that i have atm has an xlr in, and the amps i will be getting ill make sure that they do. I have used fxlr - 6.5 cables to put the wireless recevers into the mixer we have atm and the soundd quality was realy bad, i then got some xlr - xlr cable and it sounded much better. Is this just a bad cable?

I doubt that problem was caused by the cable (although it could have been defective).

I would get an XLR snake and adapters if you need the 1/4". That way, if you upgrade later, you'll have the standard connectors available without modification.

Audiopile has some long XLR-XLR snakes for good prices.

ye the amp that i have atm has an xlr in, and the amps i will be getting ill make sure that they do. I have used fxlr - 6.5 cables to put the wireless recevers into the mixer we have atm and the soundd quality was realy bad, i then got some xlr - xlr cable and it sounded much better. Is this just a bad cable?

The problem is more likely in the fact you are feeding into a 6.5 input to be honest,

Sure bad cables happen, but this sounds much more like you had a level and impedance mismatch...

Always use balanced connections when going any distance (unless you like hum).

Use XLR connectors anywhere possible. They are more reliable, and can be extended without the use of a barrel connection.

...and can be extended without the use of a barrel connection.

Which I have a strong hatred against ever using. Barrels can be a "quick fix" to a problem, but it doesn't take much for them to fail...and after you have your mains go dead during your own piano solo because a barrel came uplugged, you'll never want to see one of those ^%$# things again!

Which I have a strong hatred against ever using. Barrels can be a "quick fix" to a problem, but it doesn't take much for them to fail...and after you have your mains go dead during your own piano solo because a barrel came uplugged, you'll never want to see one of those ^%$# things again!

Neutrik makes a cool "locking barrel".

It's a bit expensive, but, in my opinion, worth it. Otherwise lots of gaff tape around a regular adapter.

Redco Audio

They'll make anything you can think of...
Alex noted that he was specifically looking for someone in the UK where he is located. While Stratford may sound like somewhere in the UK, in this case it is apparently in Connecticut.

Yes i am going to make one my self, ek. any tips on soldring conectors? and a question, I am going to have the amp on a rack and the wire will lbe comeing from the ground up, Natruly with out suporting the cable there will be stress on teh conectors, will there be any stress on the soldring? Or will teh conectors have something that takes the stress of the soldring?

And wilst were on it, I am going tto have 3 amp and 1 light (1u) (for safty reasons) will i need a fan for this?

Last edited:
...or will teh conectors have something that takes the stress of the soldring?
All XLR connectors (all connectors actually) have an integral strain relief that puts the stress on the outer jacket, rather than on the internal conductors.

While far from ideal (I'd give it a C-), here is a "how to" video, but it's no substitute for personal instruction. Is there an electronics teacher at your school?

If building a snake, you'll need appropriate sizes of heat shrink tubing to substitute for the outer and inner jackets.

All XLR connectors (all connectors actually) have an integral strain relief that puts the stress on the outer jacket, rather than on the internal conductors.

Almost all of them... I was rewiring a cable a few weeks ago, and found out that the internal components were actually modular, no soldering needed. This also meant that there was no separate strain relief, the internal conductors took the brunt of the weight.

Ye, we have an electronics teacher. I thought they would hav ethe strain relif. Thank you for the video :grin:

Almost all of them... I was rewiring a cable a few weeks ago, and found out that the internal components were actually modular, no soldering needed. This also meant that there was no separate strain relief, the internal conductors took the brunt of the weight.

EWWWWWW IDC XLRs are notoriously unreliable.
But the cable conductors come up the inside of the assembly and then fan out and fold back over. This creates the relevant surface to IDC the cable. It also puts the brunt of the strain back on the whole conductor, not a solder joint, meaning that even without a secondary strain relief, you aren't stressing the actual joint...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back