Cyc/Strip Lights

TNasty

My supervisor and I are looking at replacing our current Altman R40 strip cyc lights with some newer LED fixtures. We're trying to keep it all within reason (we're not looking to spend $1000 per unit, we've got about 40 feet of stage to cover here excluding the legs- the cyc and battens are about 60 feet in length- or else we might have gone with the ETC Linear).

One option I've been considering is getting 15 ADJ Mega Bar RGBA's, which will give us about 50 feet of fixtures. My friend was suggesting that I try to find something that doesn't use an LED array, but a configuration like the ETC Linear or the Chauvet COLORdash batten quad, because those are typically brighter options.

The Mega Bars are only $150 from B&H, which makes them really appealing. My only concern is that the units may not be bright enough. Does anybody have any experience with this fixture, or have any idea as to how it would show up on a 20-30 foot tall cyc when mounted top down?

We're also planning on getting some other fixtures to help get our system up to date and increase flexibility. We're looking at six Chauvet Colordash PAR-Quad 7's, and two Chauvet Ovation E-910FC's- just in case you've got any input on those you want to give.

Mega Bars are great. they are cheap and output pretty cool... an even 8' wash is pretty simple... but 20'... thats pushing it. if you could top and bottom light than its not so bad. we have 8 and in 3 years only 1 has gone down, but i dont think i could trust it to give me a nice wash beyond 10'. Maybe give the ADJ Ultra Bar 12 a chance, its quite a bit brighter but only a little more expensive.

Check out the Pixelstorm by Blizzard, its a bit more pricey but its quite a bit brighter. Also colordash batten quad seems like a nice fixture.

We use Selador Vivid R's for our back wall... absolutely love them, but they're not cheap...

I think the altman spectra 100 is probably the best bang for the buck out there, but that pushes $1000/fixture. On a 40' stage you'd probably need 10-15 depending on how much distance you had from the cyc.

One thing to keep in mind when buying LED fixtures is that there are huge differences in dimming curve, intensity, consistency, and longevity between price ranges and manufacturers. LED fixtures really aren't something you want to cheap out on, the low end can be attrocious.

So a quick update on the matter here.

I'm looking at potentially getting 8 ADJ Ultra Hex Bar 12's instead of 16 Mega Bars, it's just a matter of finding a good video showcasing their photometrics and dimming to see if I really like them or not.

The batten these will be mounted on is about 1-2 feet away from the cyc (horizontally), if that helps.

Here's the entire parts list we've got so far, any input is welcomed. We're trying to maintain a budget of $7,500.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I think your list is pretty straight forward. I would suggest getting the 5pin female to 3 pin male adapter too, just to have on hand and experiment with other cable runs, not expensive and quick to get while you have a budget to work with.

I would suggest just picking up one of the Ultra 12 and a mega bar and seeing the throw for yourself. If you got an ADJ reseller like guitar center in town that you can pick one up and return it if you don't like it. i'd hate for you to place a $7,500 order, spend all that time flying it and turn out you don't like the spread....

also, check your cable lengths... the daisy loops aren't where you would think they should be...
upload_2017-5-3_19-21-33.jpeg

You put 2' length, however, notice that dmx and IEC both have to clear the entire length of the bar, before you can plug into the next fixture. you'll want 6-10' on everything. You can do it wth 6' but I like having a little more slack, plus the IEC likes to fall out if the connector is holding the weight of the cable. get yourself some zipties or tyline and you'll be fine.

now that i think about it, you can probably get by a lot better with about 6 Ovation C-640FC Cyc Lights. but thats pushing your budget at $1,200 a fixture. Just a thought. Comes with clamps, you just need safety cable, powercon and 5pin... no turnovers needed. take a look. https://www.chauvetprofessional.com/products/ovation-c-805fc/ Worth looking into, but I don't have any personal experience with them other than seeing them at the NAMM convention.

If I were you I would get 12 used Colorforce 12's, and space them out 5 feet on center and a few feet off the cyc. They go for $600 used.

I've been in your exact situation before - lighting a cyc with "enough" megabars (the old RGB, not the RGBA), or "not enough" CF12's. The CF12's will work better IMO and give you more punch. You will get better evenness vertically, and sacrifice a bit horizontally.

But at the end of the day you'll own a dozen great fixtures that you can always buy more of instead of "enough" linear feet of plastic fixtures that will break and not ever be as bright as you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back