Cyclorama help

jchip

Hello! I am out of battens and need to create a skyline for Mary Poppins that doesn't take up depth onstage. Will it compromise my cyclorama if I pin our cardboard skyline to the cyc?

Thanks!

Cycs come in many different materials. What is yours? And even in muslin, probably the most forgiving of pins, you could easily leave a permanent marring of the fabric. Can you hang from same batten as cyc or free stand from floor?

Since it's just cardboard, you could most likely get away with rectangular jacks, also of cardboard, that both act as stiffeners and could be taped to the floor at the bottom to hold the skyline upright. As a broad guess, I'd add a flap of one inch depth per foot of height.

Since you are adding this groundrow, if you have the capability you could also float your cyc slightly, and put triangles at the bottoms of the jacks that go underneath the cyc. That will make them even more secure.

Pinning will likely be a big problem.

HTH,
Jen

There are probably a few different ways to cobble this together, but hanging from the cyc pipe sounds like the easiest way to go. I'm hoping its at least corrugated cardboard and assuming its JUST card board with no framing behind it.

You could take 1/16" aircraft cable and do a vertical running stitch through the cardboard itself and run it up to the pipe. That takes care of holding it upright, now comes the issue of unsupported cardboard wanting to curl and wiggle and generally being awful for building scenery. Gaff tape the bottom to the bottom pipe of the cyc. That'll provide rigidity to the bottom. For the top i'd laminate some strips of 1/8" luan to the shape of the buildings with contact adhesive to add some support and keep it from curling/warping over time. Make sure to offset all the seams from the cardboard seams. It still has the potential to sort of sag, but the luan might help...

This isn't ideal at all but you gotta work with what you have, and it'll save your multi-thousand dollar drop from damage

There are probably a few different ways to cobble this together, but hanging from the cyc pipe sounds like the easiest way to go. I'm hoping its at least corrugated cardboard and assuming its JUST card board with no framing behind it.

You could take 1/16" aircraft cable and do a vertical running stitch through the cardboard itself and run it up to the pipe. That takes care of holding it upright, now comes the issue of unsupported cardboard wanting to curl and wiggle and generally being awful for building scenery. Gaff tape the bottom to the bottom pipe of the cyc. That'll provide rigidity to the bottom. For the top i'd laminate some strips of 1/8" luan to the shape of the buildings with contact adhesive to add some support and keep it from curling/warping over time. Make sure to offset all the seams from the cardboard seams. It still has the potential to sort of sag, but the luan might help...

This isn't ideal at all but you gotta work with what you have, and it'll save your multi-thousand dollar drop from damage

Instead oh aircraft cable, I would consider multiple picks of monofilament. ( assuming here that we are light weight and resting on the floor )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back