Design D.I.Y. Gobos

jonliles

Fight Leukemia
Has anyone had any exeperince with using "household" objects to make DIY gobos? Such as Pie Pans or maybe transparency film, etc...How did you mount them? Gobo Slot? Gel frame? please tell me of successes and failures and unexpected results. Really, anything used to make a gobo.

Thanks,
Jon

For metal stock, most hardware stores carry small pieces of sheet metal or aluminum ducting. For $8, today I bought a piece of light gauge aluminum that can get me 10 A-size gobos, maybe 12 if I push it.

If you use aluminum though, up the thickness a little bit from that of a soda can because the infamous soda can gobos tend to soften up under the heat pretty easily. Go figure.

Last edited:
If you want CHEAP gobos, go buy some radiator grate at your local hardware store. You would be amazed how good it looks and how cheap it is.

Anyone ever fabricated a gobo out of "rabbit wire"? How about my long-time favorite: radiator cover sheets (perforated sheet metal)? Not to take any business away from our gobo friends, but there are some interesting geometricals available at your local home center for 1/10th to 1/20th the price. Use new, unpainted stock only. I've been doing this since 1979.
I've used this one (CloverLeaf or QuatreFoil) in productions ranging from The Mikado to Shakespeare.
proxy.php

In researching another topic, I found this (from this document):
What is the gate temperature of a Source Four ERS?
In a test condition created by placing one shutter blade into gate covering 1/2 of field, and placing the thermal probe on the backside (shaded) of the shutter. The maximum S4 gate temps (A-size) were recorded as follows:
HPL 575w/115v/300hr = 622ºF
HPL 750w/115v/300hr = 786ºF

3. Do you know anyone who makes his own printed circuit boards? Step#3 from 6. How do I make my own gobos? is doable, but results can be unpredictable. Hazardous Chemicals Involved! Follow all Safety procedures! @quarterfront describes alternate chemicals Still Dangerous! in this thread: https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/gobos-how-to-make.8669/ .

Last edited:
I'm making B-Size gobos, and having just drawn them all out on a sheet of 8x18 aluminum, I have room for 15 gobos, for $8 plus my own labor. Not bad. I also found out the bottom of a can of Aquanet happens to be exactly the same size as the image diameter of a B-size gobo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back