DeWalt 14.4 Volt XRP Drill Smells Bad

Les

Hey all,

So I have a DeWalt drill that I bought new around 2005. I used it occasionally for small jobs or working on sets in spaces that had old or underpowered drivers. The batteries eventually started dying due to my own bad habits of letting them sit in storage, so I put it away for a while.

Well, I got it back out and decided to put some replacement batteries in it since I came across a really good deal on a pair. The drill works fine but has a horrible ozone smell (worse than usual). Do you think it needs brushes or maybe the brushes are fine but stuck? There did seem to be quite a bit of visible sparking through the vents.

Update: lots of orange sparks through the vents while the drill is running. Some even seem to exit the vents.

By the way, this is one of the old NiCad models.

Last edited:
Yep sounds like the brushes need servicing. Whether that's a Maintenance thing or replacement

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, thats the brushes going bad. I'd say its time to upgrade to a drill/impact drive kit, but you just bought new batteries. Doing service yourself isn't that hard, I did it to my 12v of equal vintage when the motor died and the DeWalt shop said it wasn't worth their time (too costly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back