Dichroic Color

macsound

Thinking about doing some glass color for highsides that are somewhat inaccessible.
I feel like I can use Rosco Permacolor in a B size gobo holder, but then why do people buy the big ass size to go in the colorframe? Seems like a waste of money.
Or do they last longer not being in the gobo slot

Well if you are using 1k FEL (or anything with a metal reflector) they are likely not to last. Along with not being able to use a gobo in the slot.
But who still uses FEL?

Ok that makes all good sense. But just to make sure, it wouldn't be a detriment in any way to put color in the gobo slot except for hogging the gobo slot.
They shouldn't last any fewer hours or give me any focus or shutter cutting issues?

It depends on the glass.
Devon Glass is decent, but also thick. It may fit in your accessory slot, but will not fit in a standard gobo slot.
Also (if my foggy old memory is correct) it comes in about 1-1/4" strips, so if you cut it to fit in the Accessory slot, it may image the seam in the glass (depending on your focus)… Yuck.

True Dichroic glass is usually thinner, has more transmission, and will generally perform better... I would check with Rosco to be sure that the Perma Color will hold up to the concentrated heat in the Gobo Slot of your fixture, just to be sure. then you can put it in either the Gobo or Effect Slots (meaning you can still use a gobo, if you want to).

So... to answer your original question, the Gel frame area will be significantly cooler than the Gobo Slot. Anything installed out there will last longer than anything in the gobo slot... But for real confirmation on the Rosco product, talk to Rosco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back