Dimmers in the scene shop??

bull

Ok, so when our school theatre was built, the electrician thought that the Scene Shop would be the PERFECT place to put our to Sensor Dimmer Racks. WRONG! They are constantly full of dust, I vacuum them out almost every day, and they run at almost 81 degrees Fahrenheit all the time. It's becoming a problem, lights are jumping, major issues overall. I can't seem to think of a solution. Anybody know anything?

You could build an enclosure around the dimmer racks to local building codes that has independent ventilation from the workshop. Draw in clean air from somewhere other than the workshop and exhaust the enclosure into the workshop. If you maintain positive air pressure within the enclosure then the dust from the workshop cannot be drawn into the dimmers.

Yea, now I just need to find codes, and I have to make the dimmers accessible, so I am going to have to find a way to make an almost "air-tight" door. And, I don't know that having the ventilation system pull air from another location can happen, that would require filing a work order to the county office, and that would never happen, so I'm going to have to come up with a high filtration system to attach to one of those portable air conditioners.

so I am going to have to find a way to make an almost "air-tight" door

That's exactly what you should NOT do. You neither need nor want it to be air tight. You want the air pressure inside the enclosure to be higher than the air pressure outside, and the only effective way to do that within your shop is to draw the air from somewhere else.

Filtration of your shop air just moves the problem from the dimmer rack to the filter system. A clogged filter means the air pressure around the rack drops, the rack starts drawing directly from the shop, and you get to clean both the filter system and the rack.

Would building a little closet be the best method? You'd have to deal with the ventilation, fire protection, and all such other issues, but I don't think it would be out-of-reach expensive (unless your budget is zero!).

The problem is venthilation. Long ago when I was young and dumb I was a High School teacher. The dimmer rack was 2 feet from the edge of the stage and noise was a constant problem during performances. I tried building a tight box around it to deaden the sound. This shot rack temperature through the roof causing all kinds of weird problems and we had to take it out immediately.

No matter how you do this it's going to require: permits, work orders, and money for an expensive air ventilation system. You could build an airtight box or a positive air ventilation system in a non-airtight box. Either way is going to be expensive.

So, no logical solutions...

What's on the other side of the wall that the dimmers are currently against? Maybe you could move them there and reroute the electrical, assuming there's enough slack in the cabinet to make that possible. You might have to elevate the dimmers to make up for the loss of slack.

What's on the other side of the wall that the dimmers are currently against? Maybe you could move them there and reroute the electrical, assuming there's enough slack in the cabinet to make that possible. You might have to elevate the dimmers to make up for the loss of slack.
An 8 inch thick concrete wall. All the cables are fed through a pipe, which goes through the wall in it's own little hole about 20 feet up.

An 8 inch thick concrete wall. All the cables are fed through a pipe, which goes through the wall in it's own little hole about 20 feet up.

I think you missed my point, or something is really screwy. You have an 8" concrete wall on the other side of the wall? I would have thought you either had another room, or the outside of the building.

LOL, I read it wrong, (I have pneumonia, and am on my 9th performance right now, nothing is very clear for me right now) I thought you had asked what was behind the dimmers, on the other side of the wall is the Stage.

Well, pretty much what the others said. If you can get it down, maybe even build a tiny little room and make it a dimmer room and you can install a good AC unit in there and keep it nice and chilly : )

As for bad placement of dimmers. Our i96 rack is right off stage right wing, it is VERY loud, we finally decided to construct an exhaust piping to revert the sound to the ceiling.

Be careful with the idea of builidng a closet or enclosure, as rwhealey noted there may be code requirements relating to required clear space around the dimmers, fire ratings of any construction enclosing it, sprinkler requirements, etc.

If you can spend money, I would go to an electrical/mechanical engineering firm with the problem. The elecrical engineer will know the NEC access and fire code issues. The mechanical engineer will be able to design a proper ventilation or cooling system.

Left to an HVAC contractor to design, it has maybe a 50/50 chance of working right. They usually underestimate the heat load produced by the electronics, unless you can give them accurate BTU specs from the dimmer manufacturer.

sorry man, sounds like you're kinda hosed. Poor planning at its best. Did they not get the memo concerning sawdust? lol.

Haha, I wish... i'll just keep bringin the air compressor in every week, it's no big... this is the second time our school system has managed to mess up dimmer placement. The first time was the middle school they just built, this time the dimmers are in their own, un airconditioned room... therefore they were constantly runnning at like 85 degrees... they finally put air conditioning in there, but they also installed four movers (ETC S4 Revs.) and wired them wrong, so when you tilt, channele 22 and 26 turn on also, it is kinda amusing actually. Ha. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

It mostly was, but they completely wired everything incorrectly, the movers weren't allowed enough channels etc. I'm not much for wiring, etc. I'm more into stage management.

That's a matter of repatching in the softpatch not what the electricians do. You run the DMX and assign whatever many the light takes. If it doesn't work where it is assigned now, then move it to a space that will handle it. What kind of movers do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back