Dimmers in the scene shop??

They were ETC Revolutions, and sadly, I design lights, and I stage manage, I am HORRIBLE with programming.

Hopefully can tell you more about the Revolutions,I haven't used them so I don't know how many channels it takes. Without rereading the thread I can't remember how many dimmers you have but say you have 96 and for teaching purpses say the movers take 26 channels. To make the assigning easy start your first mover at DMX position 100 through 126. Instead of starting at 127 with the next mover, jump to 130 to 156. That way as you try to program your movers each attribute is on the same single digit. This saves doing the math a bunch of times. If you had a bunch of movers you would still need a cheat sheet but the math is still easier.

There you go confusing the issue with facts. :mrgreen: You are completely right, it would be easier 101 to 127. I will now beat my head on the wall.

Haha, I wish... i'll just keep bringin the air compressor in every week, it's no big...

Do you have a dryer on that compressor output line? High velocity condensation (or worse oil) is not the best for dimmers. You can get an in line filter at HomeDepot/Lowes for around $20-$30 if I remember right.

Do you have a dryer on that compressor output line? High velocity condensation (or worse oil) is not the best for dimmers. You can get an in line filter at HomeDepot/Lowes for around $20-$30 if I remember right.

Well that I did not know... well, think of... thanks for the tip, will definitely be grabbing one, lately i haven't had time to grab the compressor, and have been vaccuming out the filters, but i will definitely grab one of those filters for my compressor now that i know that.

Could I suggest that having so much dust in the air is actually a health and safety issue, both the explosive possibility and the health problems are well known.

eh yea... our scene shop space isn't that expansive... well it is, just the most of it is for storage... and it's not always that dusty, it just gets pretty bad when we start using the table and chop saw at the same time... we're all used to the dust though. actually adds quite an interesting texture to big macs we have found ;)

There you go confusing the issue with facts. :mrgreen: You are completely right, it would be easier 101 to 127. I will now beat my head on the wall.

ha, i'm not really positive how they are wired... at all actually, i assume DMX but almost everything is run off of stage pins, except for the movers i suppose? again, i am more into management, and i don't work in that theatre anymore... so it's not my problem now. However we do borrow the movers on occasion, but in that case, i will just reprogram them with our board.

Be careful with a vacuum, too. If you use a plastic hose you can get a wicked static charge that can destroy some electronics. Might not be an issue depending on what you are cleaning (it can easily kill a PC), but wanted to give you a heads-up.

Sounds like you need to get a dust collection system so the majority of the dust is sucked up when you first create it.
We don't even have close to enough money for that, Would be very awesome though :)

Maybe a few shop vacs and a few freshmen...
That's how it theoretically should be, but we are losing techs. fast. We have no freshmen this year that are dedicated. I am a little worried for the coming years. And, I'm too stressed to do it all right now.

That's how it theoretically should be, but we are losing techs. fast. We have no freshmen this year that are dedicated. I am a little worried for the coming years. And, I'm too stressed to do it all right now.
I know the feeling my school's AV club has gone from 15 devoted to 5 devoted kids including me and 4 kids who don't care that much. From 15 to 9 i'm a bit worried.

You could get "helpful" actors to do it.

We have a couple "helpful" actors, they usually clean brushes though. Or prime things. We really just don't clean up that often. Well the saw dust that is. Cleaning for us is a complicated task, cause we store everything on those HUGE racks like they have at home depot, and only certain people are allowed to climb them. About three people to be exact. I am one.

From what I hear, mine is the first freshman class in 3-4 years with significant experience and dedication...these things sometimes come in waves, one year you may find yourself with more techs than you can handle...I hope...

It's always possible to recruit people. People with no experience can still be interested in learning the ropes.

I'm going on 10 years in the field, and when I started I had little to no experience (just wanted to be a part of something, and was good with tools). If you want, and are a good teacher, maybe you can talk to some of the kids in the industrial tech (or whatever they call it today) classes to see if they might be interested in helping out.

Yea, I'm workin on it. I've got a couple of Auto Shop guys, they are awesome. People trickle in, I have to get the word out though. I wrote an article on it for the school paper... but nobody reads that. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back