Mixers/Consoles Direct output on the Yamaha LS-9

ajohns95616

Hi everyone,

I'm a little new to digital boards, and we have a LS-9 at the church I work at and we've been wanting to be able to record the choirs to the computer without sending it to the house. So far I haven't gotten it to work by just setting the omni-out to pre-fader. Is there something else I need to do?

The way you are going about it is probably the most simple way of getting the job done. If you are looking to make them actual direct outs like a traditional analogue board, it can be done. Read your manual. Page 88 shows you exactly how to do it. Here is a link to a manual online for quick reference.

If you are new to digital boards, read and reread your manual. It is your friend. Also, see if you can get any time to just play with the board while not in a rehearsal or event (be sure to save your base file first, just in case). This should help you become more comfortable with it, and give you a chance to drill down into some of the features of the board you may not always use.

http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/197990_manual.pdf

~Dave

If you're looking for a simple stereo recording solution you have a few options.

First, you could use the direct outs to loop right out like DaveySimps said above.

Second idea would be to use a USB drive recorder built into the LS9

Third idea would be to make several post-fade aux groups mixed to a matrix.
Ex: Let's say you have a piano accompanying the choir - assign the choir's mics post-fade each to Mix 1, the piano post-fade to Mix 2, and assign both of those mix's to Matrix 1 post-fade, and assign Matrix 1 to the omni-out of your choice. This way you can record, and the record is essentially mixed off of your house mix. If the balance isn't coming out right in the recording, you can adjust the Mix's (ie the piano is too quiet, you just boost mix 2 a bit). Gives you a bit of control over it all, and it won't go to the house.

not to thread jack but with the ls9's internal recorder

I tried to record a simple piano and vocalist with the usb, i took the recording home to listen to it and it is way out of pitch. My first guess is that the internal clock is off as its not hooked up to a world clock. is there any adjustment to this?

If you want the choir in the house mix and also just the choir to the recorder, then assign the inputs for the choir to one or two mixbuses (two if you want stereo for house and/or record) and unselect the choir inputs from the going direct to stereo out (uncheck the "ST" on those input channels). Assign the mixbus(es) as "fixed" in mixbus setup settings. Then assign the mixbuses to output to "ST" (stereo left/right out") so you get it in the house mix. You can now bring the master fader for those choir mixbuses to a suitable position on the "Custom Fader" page for easy control over the choir.

Then you can also assign the choir mixbuses to whatever omni output you like. That way you only get the choir on those omni outs for the recording. Just think about the audio path/flow through the desk from the inputs to the mixbuses to the masters.

I mixed a Christmas Pageant last weekend with 24 wireless headset for the choir this way. I assigned them into 4 mixbusses by choir part (bass, tenor, alto, soprano) and mixes the choir in the house mix using the mixbus masters on the customer fader page. While I didn't separately record the choir in parts, I could have easily assigned the mixbuses to their own onmi outs for that purpose.

The LS9 is very flexible with the assignment of the 16 mixbusses. I was using 4 for monitor/folback send, 4 for choir part assignments/submix and 4 for effects (3 different reverbs and a delay). The custom page was configured with the actor headsets (not choir), the 4 choir parts, the band/orchestra, media inputs and effects sends (mixbus 13-16 masters) and returns (ST1-4).

The USB record feature is ok simple things, but I would not use it for anything where I required a quality recording. I use it for recording sound effects for show playback, or for a quick and dirty "he's what the show sounded like" for a band. But if you can record to a proper recording device then assigning am omni out to a mixbus and the inputs you want to that/those mixbus(es) then that going to work best in most circumstances.

In some ways it was easier to mix the show at that venue with my LS9 than it was at my "home" venue with Midas XL8 where we had the choir parts assigned to VCAs along with band sections, orchestra, actors, media etc. And I can lift the LS9 by myself ;).

... i took the recording home to listen to it and it is way out of pitch. My first guess is that the internal clock is off as its not hooked up to a world clock. ...
First, it's word clock, not world clock. But I don't think the pitch being off is related. Problems with not using a master sync manifest themselves as digital artifacts as pops or glitches as one devices tried to catch up to another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back