Control/Dimming Disabling dimmers

hobbsies

I work as the ME for a local theatre company here in the city, and I haven't been paid in 2 shows (about 5 months), and have almost $500 collecting interest on my credit card. In total I'm owed about $1450. They also haven't paid my crews from the previous two shows. We're the low men/women on the totem pole atm and I need to propel us to the top. My friend who also works as an ME suggested threatening to disable their lighting system in a way that no one could figure out how to fix. He recommended removing the dimmer module, but I'm not 100% sure how that's done. The dimmers are 3 ETC 24 2.4kw edison sensor racks using single phase power from 2 200 amp disconnects. DMX controlled via ETC express 196 channel board.

If anyone has any recommendations about either how removing the dimmer module is done, or about how to get them to pay my crew and I for at least the money that's chilling on my credit card (I know they are making at least some money from the show that's running right now and the previous show), I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

I work as the ME for a local theatre company here in the city, and I haven't been paid in 2 shows (about 5 months), and have almost $500 collecting interest on my credit card. In total I'm owed about $1450. They also haven't paid my crews from the previous two shows. We're the low men/women on the totem pole atm and I need to propel us to the top. My friend who also works as an ME suggested threatening to disable their lighting system in a way that no one could figure out how to fix. He recommended removing the dimmer module, but I'm not 100% sure how that's done. The dimmers are 3 ETC 24 2.4kw edison sensor racks using single phase power from 2 200 amp disconnects. DMX controlled via ETC express 196 channel board.

If anyone has any recommendations about either how removing the dimmer module is done, or about how to get them to pay my crew and I for at least the money that's chilling on my credit card (I know they are making at least some money from the show that's running right now and the previous show), I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Small claims court.

Small claims court.

Correct.

Removing dimmers/modules with destructive intentions is tampering/vandalism and that will land YOU on the wrong side of the law. Those dimmers are not yours to disable. Something like this sounds like fun (what's that saying about revenge being a dish best served cold?) but is it worth possible jail time and having to post bail? Is your reputation worth the money and do you want a criminal record? Do it the right way and pursue small claims court.

Even if all this somehow worked, I highly doubt it would get you your money.

Last edited:

If you were the LD, I'd think about saving the show file to to a floppy then clearing the console, under the concept that the cues and patch are "intellectual property" for which you are past due on compensation.

As ME, your best bet is small claims court.

I would not be disabling, tampering with or removing equipment that does not belong to you. That invites a criminal tampering complaint.

I don't think that we should condone sabotage of the systems. If you have the documentation to back your claims of not being paid and such then I would second Sean and seek legal action. Odds are sabotage with get you nowhere except getting people pissed off at you.

Why did you do the 2nd show if you hadn't been paid in from the first? I see that your in Chicago, the owner of backstagejobs.com has had issues with a theatre paying on time as well but did not make the name public. Perhaps if he had he would have saved you some trouble.

Getting payment for work is one of the top 5 hardest things in this field. From corporate clients that think net 90 is OK to shady club owners that say the event wasn't as successful as they thought so they won't be able to pay in full.

Luckily I have only been burned by one company, when I was 16 for like 4 hours of work. The company folded and the fight wasn't worth it.

N-thing the idea that disabling the dimmers is a bad idea. They could come back at you for a loss of revenue for any shows they have to cancel.

I'm going to have to agree, be the better person.
Also, If they don't pay you, vote with your feet & work somewhere else

Back off, Make yourself the better person/party. There are other, better ways to approach this situation. Think about it! The revenge deed may make you feel good for a short while, but think what it would do to your rep in the area. The word gets around that you trashed a system because you were unhappy with the client......who's going to hire you next? Who's even going to let you on the crew, much less ME? The entertainment industry is a very small, tight community compared to other professions, and you have just gone public about you thoughts and possible intentions. If you follow through with your first thoughts, it can follow you for years and from city to city, it can subject you to serious legal repercussions.

DO NOT trash the client in word, deed or fact. DO initiate a small claims action. DO consult with an attorney about a possible more serious action. There are many attorneys who do not charge for the first consultation. DO post all relevant, non confidential, non judgmental, non knee jerk information on local call boards and face book and ..... ! Let the rest of the theatre community know about the Factual, Truthful, UN embellished actions of the other party. Do not mis-represent the situation, do not subject yourself to libel/slander accusations, CONSULT an attorney.

S##*%$#ing up the system will make you feel good now, but will eat at your craw in years to come. Taking the way I and others have suggested will let you feel good the rest of your life, don't S....W that up. Ten years from now, do you want to try to explain to your kids that you shouldn't break your brother's/sister's toy because they made you mad? Think about it.

Michael Powers, Project Manager
ETCP Certified Rigger - Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment Inc.
675 NE 45th Place, Des Moines, Iowa, 50313

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll avoid the threats of sabatoge, these are some great points. It's less about feeling good for getting back at them for not paying me, and more about I just want to get myself and my crew paid. I was really hoping I could avoid court. It's not that I don't have a contract, I do, it's just a major pain. But I gotta get paid.

the owner of backstagejobs.com has had issues with a theatre paying on time as well but did not make the name public
I think I know who this is, I'm pretty sure they ended up going under. At least they've stopped producing shows. It was one of the most unsafe and janky theatres i've ever worked at.

Last edited:
Take the high road and not work for this outfit again. No pay, no play. I agree with the others, shutting down the rack will end up with a very messy end for you, and is un-professional to say the very least. (Yeah, I know they started it by not paying your fee, but com'on.)

In Chicago, if you get a rep for pulling that kind of stunt, I don't think other venues are going to hurry and add you to their over-hire list, or hire you at all.

Last edited:
the first thing I would do is talk with those who pay me... if they couldn't give me a satisfactory time fame, I'd give them 2 weeks, and say see you in court...
Then, I'd finish up doing my job as normal, while searching for anybody else burned by them in the same manner... then go to a lawyer, and get your compensation in court...
if you have a contract, this doesn't seem like it'd be a problem...

While you're at it...in small claims court have them pay your legal fees along with interest due on back pay. A lawyer can tell you the correct term. It Atlanta, we have a coalition of lawyers that work with entertainment professionals (actors, techincians, not for profit theatre companies, etc...)

Go to the attorney general's website Illinois Attorney General Home Page and file a claim there. It's the easiest way to get something on record, and a lot cheaper than hiring a lawyer. Often, the AG will send a letter notifying the person/business there is a complaint against them, and they will settle up. If they can't pay you you'll be advised as to how to get on the list of creditors.

And keep track of every activity and every contact you have regarding your attempts to get paid.

Don't make trouble for them. You're not a wiseguy.

Ah, the sabotage game. I actually have un-sabotaged a total of three systems in the past ten years. A hotel, a school, and a theater. All were easy to undo no matter how creative the saboteur thinks he was. Now, a while back when I was on a system commissioning job for a manufacturer, I was directed by the said manufacturer to disable a dimmer system - long story with oodles of politics between them, the customer, the installing electricians, the consultants, etc. I lifted the main electronics fuse, but I did it in front of the electrician and showed him how to put it back. As I was packing up and about to leave, the manufacturer came to their senses and directed me to un-disable the system again.

As others have said, don't play that came.

I agree, getting your money can sometimes take more work than the actual job.

Disabling or tampering with the system in any way isn't an ethical option, and can often backfire into a legal action against you. Often times the threat of small claims court is all it will take to get your money out of a company that operates in this fashion.

From stagelightinghistory:1990 :
Another interesting vignette occurred during previews. One Friday afternoon I came to the theatre early to work on the focus charts. In the booth I found the Lighting Vendor removing the control-cards from the CD-80 packs. Surprised, as I hadn’t called them, I innocently inquired as to what they were doing. They informed me that the current week's check for the rental had bounced. I had picked up my paycheck from the Box Office on the way in, so I immediately went to the producer’s bank to cash mine. The bank informed me: insufficient funds. So I went back to the theatre, saved the show on several different floppy disks, then deep-cleared the board and went home to call the Production Manager. She apologized and told me to go back to the theatre; she was on her way, with cash. When I got back, there was the Lighting Vendor, re-installing the control cards. Once I got my cash from the PM, I restored the programming on the console. Not the best reason/method to test a console, but something that should be done at least once during the preview period, to insure that the desk is recording properly, in case you have to change-out the console for some reason. Some guy running a Kliegl Performer taught me that.
Obviously, the above is a slightly different scenario. The Lighting Vendor felt it was within their rights to remove rental property that hadn't been paid for (and I suspect had language to that effect in the Rental Agreement). I was wrong in attempting to hold the programming hostage.

On a different occasion with a different producer, when a check for load-in labor bounced, I had no bargaining power. That producer also made good immediately, but I'll always remember it because my bank screwed up royally: I had deposited the check into my savings account, but the bank debited my checking account, causing checks I'd written to bounce. Eventually, they fixed everything.

Big difference in above post. In that case, the rental company owned the equipment.

It's not uncommon for Churches to lease a sound or lighting system, especially if they are not the best credit scoring assembly. They do a lease so when they don't pay, the contractor has the legal authority to go in and remove the system. Usually teh church can do something like purchase the system for $1 at the end of the lease, or extend, or agree to another $ amount. ... But again, legal authority is granted.

I remember a story of a scenic designer a couple decades back working in the Chicago area who had a contract to get paid half prior to work, and the other half prior to opening night. Opening night rolled around and he hadn't gotten paid. The production was struggling just to pay their actors. The day of opening when he was informed they couldn't pay him, he went out to his car, gassed up a chain saw he had in his trunk, and started revving it in the parking lot. Just after he brought it into the building and was about to take it to the set, the PM ran backstage to pull the checks from some of the cast members, turned around, and wrote the check for the scenic designer right on the spot.

That was many years ago, though. Pulling a stunt like that today is likely to land you in jail or in front of some legal action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back