Conventional Fixtures Disposing of perfectly good lamps

StephIsabel

I have boxes of good lamps for fixtures I no longer own. Does anybody know what I should do with them? Sell them? Trash them? Post them "Free to a good home" on Craigslist?

You should be able to get something for them on ebay. If they are rare and no longer made then donsbulbs may be interested in them.

Trash them? Post them "Free to a good home" on Craigslist?[/QUOTE]

If your local Craigslist, “Willing to donate to a school or church”, should get you a tax letter. It may take up more of your time, but you may also make some good community contacts.

Do you have the lamp codes?

Just something to throw out there-- back in a former life, when I decided to upgrade our Colortran 5/50 fixtures from FELs to GLDs, we were left with 6 cases of FELs (new) and about 3 cases of used lamps that we no longer had use for. I contacted a few local community and regional theatres that still used/wanted FELs, and made them a two for one offer. I said, "Buy us a case of GLDs or HPLs (we also had Source Fours), and for every case you give me of those, I'll give you two cases of FELs." It's a win/win for both organizations. So they bought half as many lamps as they would have otherwise needed to, and we were able to swap our inventory of lamps we weren't going to use for stuff we could use.

If you can't work out a trade, just consider donating them to a local theatre, (community/summerstock, etc.) or University theatre.

Just don't throw anything out. Your trash is a small community theatre's treasure! "Wow! look! We can upgrade our grey axial 6x9s from the 1960s to these new [sic] Altman fixtures! " It's all relative.

Just don't throw anything out. Your trash is a small community theatre's treasure! "Wow! look! We can upgrade our grey axial 6x9s from the 1960s to these new [sic] Altman fixtures! " It's all relative.
You had axials, rather than radials, in the 1960's? Oh you trendy Americans, you always were ahead of us poor Canadians. But then we did have the Electo Controls Paralipshere just a little ahead of you.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

And I don't yet have a Paralispher or Patt 23 in the museum... Ibid on donating an trading.

Mostly BTLs, FELs, and ESLs, with a few BTRs and HX 600s. I'm cutting back my Altman inventory in our roadhouse, and our Theatre Dept just got two new spaces that are all LED, so they're not useful to me but could definitely be useful to someone!

My local community theatre would be interested in some/all of the BTL/FEL/BTR/HX600 lamps - depending on how many you have. The theatre is on a very tight budget, so don't know how much the BOD is willing to pay, but I know they would at least cover shipping costs.

The local community college just donated a bunch of Colortran and Altman ERS, most with broken, burned out or missing lamps. Most of the Colortrans, for some reason, are also missing the field stop rings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back