Design DMX Over Ethernet..

Pugs

first off Hi from down under,

I'm an ex lighting tech and I'm trying to get my head around a solution for my new Home that I am in the design stage of now..

basically I'm wanting to have installed 4 lighitng bars 2.5" x 5' pipe on the outside but with in a courtyard area at roughly 8' off the ground to have power and data feeds at for moving lights for parties.. and as i have been out of the game for 6 years and being a geek/ nerd I'm wanting to have this wired up via the best possible way/ easiest way for ease of set up.

so I came here after google searching dmx over ethernet and finding two old threads

I habve found some other articles online via Jands (Austraila) Jands - Building A DMX-over-Ethernet System

Are asking about simply sending DMX using Ethernet cable - I.E. Cat 5/6 type wiring ?, or having an Ethernet backbone / data distribution system that will distribute the DMX universes over Ethernet ?.

Since this is your house ? (home - place of residence ?) I would think you're not going to be in need of a full blown, multiple DMX universe system running on an Ethernet backbone, thus simply want to use the Cat5/6 wiring to carry the DMX signals.

Doing a Google search of "dmx signal over cat 5 wiring" yields a lot of results.

My question would be - Why ?. Any reason you're not installing a simple DMX cable distribution system ?. Lot's of inexpensive stuff out there (at least here in the States) that might be cheaper then having to use DMX connectors that accept Cat5/6 wiring. You will still need a bunch of regular DMX 5 pin cables, or possibly 3 pin data cables around the trussing and that's easy stuff to purchase, even getting used to save money.

I generally would not be over-thinking this to death and would be making is as cheap and simple as possible.

What SteveB said. Note the significant difference between DMX-over-Ethernet and DMX-over-CAT5. If distributing DMX512 to only four different places, I wouldn't use either one. All you really need is proper DMX cable and an opto-splitter, perhaps the D-Split. And four terminator, DMX s, of course.

Also,
...4 lighitng bars 2.5" x 5' pipe ...
Moving light clamps are intended to be used on 1.5" ID pipe (1.9" OD) or 50mm (OD) tube. Using 2.5" pipe, ID or OD, will only cause you grief.

What SteveB said. Note the significant difference between DMX-over-Ethernet and DMX-over-CAT5. If distributing DMX512 to only four different places, I wouldn't use either one. All you really need is proper DMX cable and an opto-splitter, perhaps the D-Split. And four terminator, DMX s, of course.

Also,
Moving light clamps are intended to be used on 1.5" ID pipe (1.9" OD) or 50mm (OD) tube. Using 2.5" pipe, ID or OD, will only cause you grief.

2"/ 50mm sorry is what I meant to say besides i was keeping it non metric for you guys across the pond.

as to why.. cause I can..

main reason I'm looking over ethernet/ cat6 is to keep the extra cable types to a minimum but it could also be used in other places certainly something to look at no in concret plans as of yet just getting an idea once more of what is out there.. i could do as suggested 4 core to the bars and then with the right kit in my rack get that to ethernet and then back to the "main rack" mix that to get ethernet to a pc or wing board combo.

Last edited:
Hi Pugs,

This is what I've done at my home as well. I have Cat5 run from multiple points in the house. It gives me the ability to rig differently per event.

If you want to use ethernet cable instead of XLR 5pin DMX cable you can use the CPoint XLRJ45 adapters on each end. I have them in my kit.
Sorry, I don't know the prices.
CPOINT

If you want to send DMX over an ethernet network, it’s pretty simple. Art-Net is probably the most common protocol (E1.31 sACN is more efficient, but not quite as common yet). You can find pretty affordable Art-Net nodes (like http://dmxking.com/index.php?page=s...&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2 ). Stick one on or near one of the bars, run regular DMX cable from it, and connect the network to an ethernet switch somewhere in your house (could be the same one you use for your regular home network internet connection)

Connect your computer running some software that supports Art-Net output, and you’re done. (Could even use WiFi if you’re willing to risk it).

cheers for the all the suggestions keep them coming.. I've had a look at the options posted I'm currently thinking of some ENTTEC kit ( DMX Ethergates, Playback and Program wings) but looking at the DMXking I may chnage my mind closer to the install date maybe have a chat wit some local companies see what they suggest. ethernet is easier for me no soldering envolved and as a Data cabler easier for me to get my hands on in bulk for alot cheaper then 4core

I'll add my 2 cents.

Do it all in standard portable cable. We are talking a party patio type space right? Why spend hundreds or thousands on network translation gear when you probably won't exceed normal DMX limits. Plus you'll probably do something a bit different every time. Simple cables run as needed works really well and will let you grow the system as you want. Can you really predict what you want in 5 years?

If you install anything make it hollow sleeves so you can pull in whatever strikes your fancy. IE. sound source, speakers, net, video, doorbell, third universe, FO...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back