Control/Dimming DMX to analog

I have started to help a a local theater here in great falls. We are getting a used dmx board to replace the old Dove Systems analog board.:) We unfortunately can not afford dmx dimmers at this time. I have seen DMX to Analog converters and am just wondering if this would work to save us some money the dimmer that we have at this time are Dove Systems DM-624 terminal in – terminal out dimmer pack. thanks in advance

I would call Doug Fleenor Designs or Goddard Design. There are other manufacturers who sell converters for less but they won't be as well made as one from these two companies. You could also drop CB's resident Fleenor a PM jfleenor. You should also contact Dove to see if they have any suggestions.

The solution will likely be expensive. They seem to run anywhere from about $250-$1500 depending what you need. So shopping around is not a bad idea.

Last edited:
6FIREWALL6, are you sure your Dove Systems DM-624 cannot take DMX as well as analog? I found this product description:
Dove wall mount dimmer cabinets are for permanently wired systems installed onto a wall surface. Each contains terminal blocks for power in and out, single or 3 phase power, terminal blocks for DMX (in and thru) and 0-10vdc control signals, dual SSR power cubes, breakers for load circuits, fan with thermostat, and removable control card.
Even if they can't take DMX, it might be an easy upgrade. Worth a call to Dove. Do you have just one or several of these wall-mounted packs? Another lower-cost option may be this from Northlight Systems, which involves some wiring skills. See also the Collaborative Article DIY DMX: Demux, Protocol Converters, etc..

To answer your main question, "Will it work?"-- yes it will. This post discusses a converter that has been in use for probably 25 or more years.
... We also have a Strand-built AMX to Analog converter, for the really old rack, picking up it's AMX from the same DMX>AMX box. The darn things keep working. ...

To answer your main question, "Will it work?"-- yes it will. This post discusses a converter that has been in use for probably 25 or more years.

In my setup, the ETC DMX>AMX Response Convertor, and the 520 console, have been at it since 1997. I had to check, I wasn't clear in the other post. :rolleyes: So this convertor has only been in service for 12 long brutal years! :cool:

The Strand built AMX>Analog Convertor went into service with the purchase of a Mini Light Palette in 1984.

The 520's DMX1 port goes to the DMX>AMX convertor. That output goes to three AMX dimmer packs and through the AMX>Analog convertor for the Analog dimmers (2 racks and a 6pak).

For us, it has been absolutely solid. Confusing as all get out, but solid! :cool:

I have installed more than 10 analog converters, Chinese made units costing around $300 with no failures over 6-7 years, for many purposes this is a valid solution as older dimmers can be very reliable.

I have installed several of the Northlight units, and while they require a bit of wiring, it is all done with screw type terminal strips and comes with very clear instructions. Also James Cart, who owns Northlight will help solve and clarify any problems over the phone with a very pleasant attitude.

Thanks all. I have looked at the dimmers and don't see a dmx input or output on them. I will call dove and see what they can do as well as check the other company's and check them out. Hope for the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back