Do you know what it means to have a gel go Bonanza?

Do you know what it means to have a gel go Bonanza?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Think I have it, used to be some stake houses with that name I remember or a name really really similar to that back in the 1970's if I remember correctly. Could be a TV commercial way back than associated with it if not the effects of branding... my that's an old term if accurate and one that did not spread all over the place. First time I heard of it but its very similar to spectacular in a descriptive name for what happened if correct. Will be good to know the answer to this question out of curiosity - good one.

If accurate, yup just had some this week. Spent all that time in making gel frame clips that would mount directly to the lamp on some MR-16 / E-26 100w lamps and they urr, didn't work out so well even with UV lenses in front, instead its either the $8.60 each glass filters not available in primary for light colors & are only rated for 50 Watts or the $30.55 dichroic filters also only rated for 50 Watts that are primary color and would be cool but still glass and could break catestropically.

Last edited:
...... instead its either the $8.60 each glass filters not available in primary for light colors & are only rated for 50 Watts or the $30.55 dichroic filters also only rated for 50 Watts that are primary color and would be cool but still glass and could break catestropically.

Wow- $30.55 dichroic filters @ 2.0 inches round? Why so expen$ive?

Because its what the manufacturer and distributer can charge for them stupid... Joking of course. Should I wish I'm sure I could go thru work in getting our normal dichroic supplier to knock out some possibly or not cheaper, or even some of my specilized glass suppliers to do so. I was doing the simple from Juno - a architectural supplier that stocks them and in theory has them in bulk in theory also cheap, and given its work and not end user persay (given markup also presented as customer cost not employee cost,) I posted pricing as something to consider - colored verses dichroic glass filters for situations when a normal gel won't work.

Got my first two of three lenses in today - they are cool. Why I didn't get all three immediately... no idea of that or when they might come.

Still in not attempting to break up the conversation, I think going Bananza is very related to why in this situation I went glass as opposed to gel.

Right, so now that everyone has lost interest in this thread, watch this,
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and you will have the answer as to where the term comes from. You need only watch about the first 10 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, memories. Why is everything in shades of gray? Where's the color?

I don't get it. According to Rosco,
Rosco utilizes a select form of polycarbonate that is flame retardant to meet the most stringent International standards for fire safety.

Modern Color/Diffusion Media may melt, but it will not sustain a flame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back