Ebay store with cheap lights

Les

EDIT: eBay Store - Packaged Lighting: Decorative Lighting, Controllers, Fresnel Spotlights
(Did I really forget to add the link?!?)

I came across these people on ebay and they seem fairly new (with only 1 feedback).
The thing that strikes me is that I could get an 8' strip light for $250. Or a 3" ellipsoidal for $58, etc, etc... 3" fresnel for $38??

Seems like really cheap prices to me and the design of the instruments for the most part is unlike anything I have ever seen before. Some of those ellipsoidals look like they're right out of the 50s. What do you guys think is up with this and I wonder if I should look into getting some strips?

I wish they would get better photos. If they really want to sell these they should do that. I'm going to send them an email for more product info and asking for better pic's and see what happens...

Last edited by a moderator:
There are exceptions but the pic attached pretty much says what i think.

Attachments

• Ebay(1).jpg
    Ebay(1).jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 310
I had a quick look. I see what you mean about the photo's. Also using the same photo for different size Fresnels.

But at $38 excluding lamp if I were in the USA I would buy one just to check it out.

At that price you could afford to test it to destruction. It depends on the quality of the parts.

Theatre companies tend to put quite a high markup on the parts they use even if you could buy the same part at your electrical wholesaler. Like the price of a 500W linear Halogen bulb from a theatre supplier compared to the same thing at your local hardware store.

I am wondering if these are copies of expired patents?

If you get one could you do a report for us?

Yeah, I might buy the 3" Fres. Just 'cause I have some par 16's and wouldn't they look cute. Kidding. But I am thinking of buying it. The shipping is reasonable too.

I had the same thought about expired patents actually.
As far as quality goes, they advertise it as having teflon wiring in a fiberglass sleeve, which sounds pretty standard.

And how many ways could you screw up a strip light? I'll do some research before I spent too much money. At least they need to carry a UL label.

I'll let you guys know if I order the Fresnel.

Well the MR-16 borderlights they have its pretty easy to screw those up...on a semi-regular basis the metal contact in the base catches on the bi-pin posts of the lamp and pulls out...also if they don't seat well they arc out.

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking more along the lines of a Par 38 strip. They say they have feed through wiring and everything. I'll see if they get back to me.

The style and concepts of these lights is so retro. It has a real 50's feel. Expired patents sound likely.
Chinese knock off?

Oh they have a website too:
http://www.packagedlighting.com/

I've known about them for years....they just always seemed so...shady. I really want to know who they are and where they got their designs from, some of their stuff seems very, Kliegl-esque.

Thanks for the link! I was googling them but had no luck. If you look on page 9 of their online catalog guess what you'll find. An 8" step lens ellipsoidal. I'm not sure where they're made but they seem to manufacture all their products and they have alot data available. It's their $250.00 8' 16 lamp Strip that floors me. And they seem to carry UL approval as well.

very interesting to say the least.

Yeah I'm somewhat intrigued. And kind of giddy. I don't know why, it's not like I'll be using one of their step lens ellipsoidals any time soon... But I would like to get my hands on that 3" fresnel for $38.00.

PLS is the subject of this thread, actually. Here is what I know about them: ___________________________________ ...

Most of the lighting equipment seems outdated and the word "retro" has been said. I mean, look at the starburt effect! (for the record I think it looks cool, lol)

Looks like Kliegl and Hub are still alive after all!

For the buyer who is looking for affordability and not necessarily the latest tech, this doesn't seem like a bad place to shop. I really am considering buying a few things just to see what they're all about. From their website they seem legitimate and honest. Surprisingly it seems that they have been around for 44 years!

ya i looked back, i thought packagedlighting.com and PLS was two different companies.

They really are interesting. So that fresnel is $38? Well then.

i was browsing the catalog and it says they're made in the USA. Definitely not what I was expecting. I might have to get a few of these to try out in our theatre.

What year is it?

The second one Derek.

Seems like they're very proud of their products yet their prices don't reflect it. The Ebay store doesn't have much yet, but I noticed they added some more things today so we'll see. Luckily their website is more informative and has better pictures. As far as shipping goes, I'm in North Texas and shipping for the 3" fresnel is like $8.00 and the 8' strip light is around $38.00. Sounding pretty reasonable...

So I never really looked at their catalog before. All I can say is: Disco is NOT dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back