Conventional Fixtures Elation Opti Tri Par versus Wiedamark Tri-Color Par 64

kbadr

I own a small 50 seat theater. We're looking to replace our Altman 65Q fresnels, used for color wash, with some LEDs. I tried out the Elation Opti Tri Par today and they were great. Seem to be just what we need. Then I found these online: http://www.wdmlighting.com/PDF-files/wdm/WDM-HP-Par64-Tri-Color-RGB.pdf

Does anyone have any opinions on the Elation vs Wiedamark? The Wiedamark is a little cheaper, has a 3-pin connector, and my board (Strand 100 Series) is 5-pin, but I think adapters are made for that, right? Also, the Wiedamark would have fewer options, but all we're interested in is a color wash, and maybe strobe effect. We do exlusively manual/live lighting, nothing complicated, for improv shows. The Wiedamark seems to have a fixed power cord, too. Not sure if that really matters.

Opinions?

On either unit, you are going to hate the bottom of the dimming curve for slow theatrical fades. Especially in an intimate space like that. I've used the Elation Tri series stuff, and it's absolutely amazing stuff, but the bottom of the dimming curve is just not there yet. I'd expect the same from the Wiedamark units.

However, if you're not to concerned about the dimming curve, I can strongly recommend the Elation Tri series stuff. I have no experience with the Wiedamarks, but I know some people who have purchased other Wiedamark products and they've been quite happy with their purchases.

For theatre, I'd strongly recommend a fixture offering RGBAW. It will fill in the missing orange/amber/yellow end of the spectrum RGB is incapable of achieving and the additional white diodes allow for the creation of pastels across the spectrum.

proxy.php

I tried using the Opti Tri for a wash, and saw how cold/harsh the light was. So I definitely know what you're talking about, but I also know that the LEDs with amber are considerably more expensive. We'd be using them solely for a color was, though, so it would be fine for our setup.

Can you tell me the make and model of the fixture you attached a photo of?

That is the TyLED-C336. The fixture has 36 three watt diodes: RED– 6, GREEN – 8, BLUE – 8, AMBER – 6, WHITE - 8. The cast aluminum housing shown in the picture has a MAP price of $ 599.00, there is also a spun aluminum housing with a MAP of $ 529.00.

The TyLED line is one we have developed and are importing directly. The name comes from my grandson Ty, the LIGHT of my life.

I recently did an informal shoot out between BillEsc's TYE-Led and a couple of Elation units ( NOT the tri Par ) - and found that the TYE-LED compared quite favorably at a substantially reduced cost.

In general - previous comments re curve on the low end are true. They are all a bit stepey at the low end. We found though that the addition of amber and white gives you a lot easier color control than just RBG. ( We were comparing the new CK unit - RBGAW, the Tye-led - RGBAW, and two elation units. One RGBA, and one RGBAW). One thing we especially liked on the TYE unit was just how even the 40 degree unit was. It was a LOT nicer beam than the elation units ( which take a narrow beam and put a diffuser in front of it).

Before you spend your money - you want to compare units. If you have a dealer you will be buying from - ask to see a demo unit of the Elation unit, and get hold of a TYE-LED for comparison.

Note - I have absolutely no business arrangement or ax to grind re BillEsc ( although I do plan to purchase some units from him)

By this point you've probably already purchased your LED instruments. However, I wanted to say I've found two incredible LED instruments that have the smoothest dimming curve I've ever experienced. They are the Elektralite 1018s and the Elektralite eyeBall. I've used Elation Opti Tri Par, Quad Par, the Wiedamark Tri Par, the Technilux Tri, and the Elektralite fixtures. Hands down, the Elektralite takes the prize for no stepping or jitter at low ends. When they first came in, I unpacked them, set them to Arc2+S profile, and ran several cues ranging in time from 5 seconds to 30 seconds, from 0 to full, and full back down to 0. I saw no jitter or stepping at all. I was so impressed I actually said "wow" and laughed out loud in an empty theater. The Elektralite eyeBalls are the same lumen power as the Opti Tri Pars. The Elektralite 1018s are about twice as powerful in terms of light output. Just my two cents worth based on a lot of experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back