Control/Dimming EOS 2.2 & Nomad Puck

Hey All, ETC just released the EOS 2.2 Software and the Nomad Puck and Nomad Dongle on their website today. Wanted to start a conversation about what people think about it. Pros/Cons..... Ready. Go!

My understanding is if you currently are on a networked system and own a client dongle, the Nomad upgrade is free. Gives you a free backup console in essence for a simpler system.

As I'm in a currently very busy dance recital month, I won't be updating for at least 2 weeks, but hear some good buzz about the new screen layout options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remember that there is no DMX out option other then on a Net 3 Gateway (or into any devices resident on an existing ETC network). So should you choose to use a laptop with the Off-line software, you will need the Nomad dongle for however many addresses are useful, as well as needing a Gateway(s) to get DMX to dimmers (unless the dimmers are Sensor with Net2 or newer), etc... So not necessarily cheaper then an inexpensive console.

Edit: Just saw on the ETC site they will have a device called "Gadget" that will put out what appears to be a universe of DMX, so no other network devises needed. That's neat.

Last edited:
Remember that there is no DMX out option other then on a Net 3 Gateway (or into any devices resident on an existing ETC network). So should you choose to use a laptop with the Off-line software, you will need the Nomad dongle for however many addresses are useful, as well as needing a Gateway(s) to get DMX to dimmers (unless the dimmers are Sensor with Net2 or newer), etc... So not necessarily cheaper then an inexpensive console.

Edit: Just saw on the ETC site they will have a device called "Gadget" that will put out what appears to be a universe of DMX, so no other network devises needed. That's neat.

Very Neat! For around a grand you can have a small console with great software. I've heard lots of complaints about buggy software systems...

I see lots of small churches and little theaters using it. Around here lots of the high schools have Ions, so there is a growing pool of experience.

M-PC is less than $500 for 2 universes. ETC is too expensive, yet again. I love a lot of things about ETC. Hell, I make a living as an EOS programmer. But that kind of money and you're not even getting a real console...Comon.

Very Neat! For around a grand you can have a small console with great software. I've heard lots of complaints about buggy software systems...

I see lots of small churches and little theaters using it. Around here lots of the high schools have Ions, so there is a growing pool of experience.

Around a grand? I guess you might be able to do that if you only need half a universe, but if that's all you need you probably don't need most of the stuff the software is useful for. At that point your better off with a small console with physical buttons and faders.

For most people it would cost upwards of $2500, by the time you buy 2 universes, a computer to run it and at least one touch screen monitor. And if you buy their $2000 puck your really throwing your money away on what is maybe a $300 computer. Want more universes, sure only an extra $1000. Probably going to want a fader wing, throw in another $2000. By the time your done you'll be kicking yourself for not just buying a real console to begin with. Or maybe that's just the point to price it high enough so most people will just buy full consoles. I'd love to see a free or very low cost way to run the software with even half a universe or a full universe like most of the rest of the manufacturers. But I guess since they already own the entire theater market there really isn't much need to try and get more people interested in using their consoles.

The way I am looking at it is as a significantly less expensive way to get in to a real backup solution; it is much less expensive to use a dedicated laptop and a 4U Nomad dongle than a second condole or an RPU. And I have a very compact, easily transportable, console I can take away should the need arise. I lit a birthday party last weekend using Nomad with an old client dongle, so only 256 outputs, on my laptop. It was plenty for this little gig and took advantage of the dongle I had already purchased at no additional cost to me. Set up time was only a couple of minutes, versus hauling in my ION and monitors and getting everything cabled up, etc... No, as a stand alone control solution it isn't the least expensive option out there, but you are also getting ETC's legendary support and service as part of your financial investment. Including, I would expect, dealing with computer-related support issues that probably are not strictly related to Nomad or ETC's hardware (ie: network configuration settings, power management, optimization settings, etc...). And if you compare the cost with Jands Vista dongles, MA OnPC nodes, Hog Widgets, etc... their pricing isn't really out of line with other top-tier control solutions.

Just my two pence...

Best,
John

Please note that my opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the kind people who pay me.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So I have to say there is a slight learning curve for me. What I seem to be reading here in these posts is the dongle is NOT a usb to dmx converter but instead a network output? That means we have to purchase a second device "Gadget"? which I have not seen anywhere on their site to output dmx? Also I do agree that for the end cost apples to apples in output an Element is close to the Nomad, but of course an Element is extremely limited when using movers. It's really not that big of a deal to take just the ION main playback and a monitor if it's going to cost $2k - $3k to use a laptop instead. I have found though that other laptop programs can be at least 1/2 that or more with a very high learning curve and a lot of bugs, plus the user can't just take an existing show file from the EOS Family and drop it in to a laptop when using other programs. So it's really an individual thing. ETC puts out a great product and their pricing often times reflects that. For instance they have a great Bobble Head video on how to create a "Hybrid theatre". In it they admit even their own LED's don't equal that of a tungsten fixture in warm whites so they say to use one LED and one tungsten; one ETC LED Ellips for bright rich colors and one Source Four ellips for the warm white needed. But since the LED cost for just the light engine body is in the neighborhood of $2k adding the shutter barrel and a lens, which must be used puts it close to $3k. If we just purchase the light engine body then we have to strip our Source Fours, therefore we can't use them with the LED because they will be stripped so we have to purchase complete Source Fours or Complete LED's. That's a lot of money to spend for one fixture. Yes it's eliminating a dimmer and scrollers/gels for individual fixtures, but I'm hoping things settle down to more reasonable in the LED world.

The Nomad dongle is for licensing the output capabilities of Nomad software (Eos or Cobalt family). It provides no other function.

If you want to use Nomad to directly control anything you need either a Gadget (1 universe of USB-to-DMX) or something that understands sACN or Art-Net. If you want to control multiple DMX universes, the recommended product is an ETC Net3 node (naturally).

You can also use Nomad to indirectly control your rig by using it as a client for another ETC console (or RPU). In this instance, either a Nomad dongle or the older ETC client dongle will work since the license count is determined by the console.

The Bobblehead "Hybrid Theatre" video message is that all lights, even those archaic tungsten fixtures (he said with tongue firmly implanted in cheek) have a place in a modern theatre. FWIW, it was produced before the Source Four LED II engine was developed. LEDs are developing very rapidly and prices will eventually come down as production quantities increase.

The Nomad dongle is for licensing the output capabilities of Nomad software (Eos or Cobalt family). It provides no other function.

If you want to use Nomad to directly control anything you need either a Gadget (1 universe of USB-to-DMX) or something that understands sACN or Art-Net. If you want to control multiple DMX universes, the recommended product is an ETC Net3 node (naturally).

You can also use Nomad to indirectly control your rig by using it as a client for another ETC console (or RPU). In this instance, either a Nomad dongle or the older ETC client dongle will work since the license count is determined by the console.

The Bobblehead "Hybrid Theatre" video message is that all lights, even those archaic tungsten fixtures (he said with tongue firmly implanted in cheek) have a place in a modern theatre. FWIW, it was produced before the Source Four LED II engine was developed. LEDs are developing very rapidly and prices will eventually come down as production quantities increase.
Thanks for this info. it's very helpful. I have an older Node and have to check if it supports Net3 or not. I do run two universes of 512 each so looks like I would need the Node or get one if mine does not support 3. I know of the new LED II. They are getting close however even that is short of a 575 or 750 S4. So time will tell. Thanks again.

Thanks for this info. it's very helpful. I have an older Node and have to check if it supports Net3 or not. I do run two universes of 512 each so looks like I would need the Node or get one if mine does not support 3. I know of the new LED II. They are getting close however even that is short of a 575 or 750 S4. So time will tell. Thanks again.

It's my understanding that Net2 legacy 2 port nodes, as manufactured by Pathway for ETC are upgradable to see sACN, but that the ETC manufactured Net2 4 port nodes are not upgradable. The CEM+ modules if using the most recent OS, can be set to listen to sACN.

I attended the Layers of Light lecture at the ETC NY office a few weeks ago, got a good look at the capabilities of the series II Lustr ellipsoidal, side-by-side with a 575w unit. It's as bright, but more importantly, puts out more light in certain colors that incandescent's have trouble with, blues, lav's and greens as example. The Lustr is not as bright in N/C as a 750, but does punch thru in saturated colors. Thus a side by side with a 750 while loading assorted colors would probably have the New Lustr holding it's own.

I attended the Layers of Light lecture at the ETC NY office a few weeks ago, got a good look at the capabilities of the series II Lustr ellipsoidal, side-by-side with a 575w unit. It's as bright, but more importantly, puts out more light in certain colors that incandescent's have trouble with, blues, lav's and greens as example. The Lustr is not as bright in N/C as a 750, but does punch thru in saturated colors. Thus a side by side with a 750 while loading assorted colors would probably have the New Lustr holding it's own.

This has been a very good discussion. Yes, certain colors do rule while others are less. My main thing is warm white at 750 which I'm sure is still coming. Looking for good FOH warm white to replace tungsten and pricing to go down. Just can't afford $3k each to cut portable road show power costs.

Hopzing: The EOS family (and so I expect Nomad) will do EDMX which also goes by NET2. Upgrading is usually a good thing, but it seems not mandatory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back