EOS Color Sweep Effect

z2oo

Hi all --
I have a designer that's looking (preferably) for a two-color sweep effect on a set of 6 fixtures (channeled 1>6).

He'd like ch. 1 to start green, and ch. 6 to start in purple. These colors would then move through the group of fixtures [EDIT: simultaneously] (green: ch. 1 --> 3 --> 2 --> 5 --> 4 --> 6 // purple: ch. 6 --> 4--> 5--> 2--> 3--> 1). So ch. 1+6 would fire, then 3+4, and 2+5, but in different colors. I'm having trouble conceptualizing how I might program such an effect (if I can).

Step-based effects wouldn't work unless I can have two steps occur at the same time, and an absolute effect wouldn't work because there is a specific order of channels for this and re-patching is not an option to make the channels numbers go in order. I seem to recall that I might be able to apply an effect to a group which has channel numbers in a certain order, but I'm not so sure about that. I'm happy to clarify more if needed.

Any thoughts?

Or use an absolute effect and apply it to alternate channels. It might be covered in the Tea Break tutorial examples. Offset and sub-groups can speed up the programming.

I may not have explained it well or I'm just really tired and it's easier than I thought. The idea is to have the green color move through the channels starting at ch. 1, while the purple color moves backwards from channel 6 at the same time. If I were to do a step-based effect, I would want to be able to do this:
Step 1 - ch.1@green, ch.6@purple
Step 2 - ch.3@green, ch.4@purple
Step 3 - ch.2@green, ch.5@purple

AFAIK that isn't possible. Can I layer a forwards green effect along with a backwards purple effect on the same channels to achieve this?

EDIT: I suppose I can just do a step-based effect that has a preset for each step. Still looking for a faster way.

Last edited:
The only other way using effects I can think of is using two effects one doing the green and one doing the purple

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

You can only apply one effect to each parameter.

So it depends on which kind of units you're using.

You could do an absolute effect with a preset or color palette for each step.

What do you want to have happen after the effect completes the first cycle? Do the colors "bounce" back? If so, you have to use a step effect as "bouncing" an absolute effect will cause the individual actions to bounce.

After the first cycle, it should reverse. I've made my six presets and I'm running with a step-based effect. Shame that I can't run multiple effects on the same parameters, but it's a sensible limitation.
Thanks for the insight, guys!

Another option: a loop of cues on a separate cue list. That's pretty much what a step effect is, but ights.com be easier for you to program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back