Essential things to know when starting out in lighting

ACTSTech

1. Gaff tape is like the force...it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
2. Actors, no matter how well trained or how well their marks are spiked, will never hit their mark. Adjust to them, it makes life that much easier.
3. Never assume that anything is ever disconnected, even when you yourself threw the disconnect, especially in older buildings.
4. Gloves may be hard to work in if doing fine details, but fiberglass splinters, broken glass shards, and sharp metal edges make your fingers hurt when you get them. And you will get them. Invest in good gloves.
5. Learn to tie good knots, especially around the handle of the 5 gallon bucket which you will learn to take up with you when you’re on scaffolding or a grid that isn’t easy to climb up and down. A good knot holds when you lower the bucket to beg someone to put in what you forgot to bring up or didn’t suspect you would need when you climbed up. Invest in good rope for this.

Last edited:

MRW Lights

One of my very first mentors in lighting and great friends once gave me this advice when I asked for her number 1.... "Don't show up to work with holes in your jeans" It seems funny in a workplace where jeans are common and appropriate and given the line of work where holes are common, for her it's a sign of respect for yourself and your work. Dress for respect and it will be given where it's deserved.

Also all the other stuff listed above...

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member

RonHebbard

Premium Member
One of my very first mentors in lighting and great friends once gave me this advice when I asked for her number 1.... "Don't show up to work with holes in your jeans" It seems funny in a workplace where jeans are common and appropriate and given the line of work where holes are common, for her it's a sign of respect for yourself and your work. Dress for respect and it will be given where it's deserved.

Also all the other stuff listed above...
@MRW Lights Unseen holes in your pockets count / matter too if / WHEN you casually slip an un-tethered tool in and it falls through a hole when you're 40' up in a personnel lift OR when your tethered tool captures your glases, cigarette lighter, favorite comb, whatever causing it escape from your pockets and prove gravity's still working.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
@derekleffew and @JonCarter Herb Pilbrow, Richard Pilbrow, Herb Philbrick, whod''a thunk: "I Led Three Lives" (from the 40's / 50's)
Herbert Philbrick was a young professional and pacifist in 1939 Boston. He joined an anti-war group and quickly found himself caught up in the secret world of underground communist activity.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

egilson1

Premium Member
Not lighting specific but my first lessons to any new person:

Please and thank you are requirements
Stop means EVERYONE stops. It’s not whoa, hey, or any other noise. Stop means Stop.
If you hear “run away”, RUN AWAY.

And finally, “the show must go on, Safely”. EVERYBODY gets to go home at the end of the day.