ETA Professional Lighting Controller Model 1418 and Dimmer Model 1258

Alright, I've accepted a TD position at an area college, and this is the lighting system in our Blackbox space. I've already contacted the company that manufactured it, and gotten the product information I could from them. (Owners manual for the Dimmers, and informed that there never was one for the board, but was sent the manual for the most similar board that did have one, the 1600 series.)

What I am wondering, does anyone who has worked with this system before have any advice for me?

100_4803.JPG100_4805.JPGView attachment 1600 SERIES CONTROL BOARD.pdfView attachment 1200 Series Dimmers.pdfView attachment ProdDiscont_8_29.pdf

Alright, I've accepted a TD position at an area college, and this is the lighting system in our Blackbox space. I've already contacted the company that manufactured it, and gotten the product information I could from them. (Owners manual for the Dimmers, and informed that there never was one for the board, but was sent the manual for the most similar board that did have one, the 1600 series.)

What I am wondering, does anyone who has worked with this system before have any advice for me?

View attachment 3335View attachment 3336View attachment 3337View attachment 3338View attachment 3339

I have a question for you on this system do can you tell me how the controller connects to the dimmer packs. is it with a din connector that screws in and do you know the communications protocol being used? is it ultra plex? I have a mc12cm controller I use with a 1251 dimmer that works flawelessly. Also can you send me a copy of the controller manual you have. I have been trying to connect a few 1252 dimmer packs to it but am unsure of how to build a conversion cable.

Are you having a particular problem or are just looking for general advice.

Actually I am having a particular problem. I have an ETA MC8C controller (the real small one). It was kind of working intermittently, at least until I tried to fix it and now it won't work at all. My volunteer repair guy had no idea and basically gave up on it. So what I need is someone who can take a look at it or maybe my guy can figure it out from the 1200 series schematics.
Jack

I don't know the board but what was it doing and what did you try to do.

If you're still using the same system, I'd be more concerned about the power cables coming out of the dimmers. If you zoom in on the first picture of your first post, you can see that some of the cables are 16/3. That's too thin for a 2400 watt dimmer.

... can I get the control board [ETC Express] to talk to these dimmers?
Absolutely! You just need a DMX-to-analog 0-10VDC protocol converter (of at least 18 channels), such as is available from Fleenor, Pathway, or one of the vendors listed at DIY DMX: Demux, Protocol Converters, etc. - ControlBooth . You'll also need 3 of the mating multi-pin control connectors, some wiring knowledge, and a soldering iron. However, after all that, you might find it more cost-effective to simply replace the existing dimmers with something more modern. ETC SmartPack comes immediately to mind, but there are other, less-expensive options.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back