Control/Dimming ETC Express 24/48 Troubleshooting

StradivariusBone

Custom Title
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
So I was helping out at another high school's theatre yesterday (this one is smaller, doesn't have a dedicated TD) and patching in some striplights for their fall show. When I went to the console to patch them in I noticed several things seemed amiss.

It booted like normal to the Stage display, however the light on the Patch button was illuminated. When I went to Patch, the light on Stage went out, but then I could not return to Stage without rebooting the console. The Go light/button was on constantly and flickering intermittently on the C/D fader too as well as a few other lights (rate on A/B, something else by the keypad). At no point did the Patch light go out.

The faders all respond and bring up the correct dimmers according to the patching, however on the keypad itself all the buttons on the left side don't respond (7, 4, 1). From what the kids were telling me, they had experienced trouble recording cues. They couldn't figure out why and just assumed it was because they were green (which they are). However, this makes sense why they couldn't save their cues.

From sitting with the board yesterday, my gut tells me that something either was dropped on it, spilled on it, moisture damage from humidity (it lives in a mostly AC, but occasionally fluctuating environment in Florida), but I don't have any evidence to support any of that so it's entirely conjecture. It does feel like a hardware-related issue though. Either way, I wanted to poll the collective mind of CB to see if anyone had experience with this sort of error. I told their director to contact ETC support and go through troubleshooting with them on the phone as a next step.

Thanks!

-ED

I vote something got spilled on it :(. A good indication when this happens is the plastic on the numbers start to curl or are not there anymore because someone tried to clean it up and wiped to hard. Obviously nothing was sticky or that would of been a good indication right there.

That's kinda what I'm feeling too. Didn't see any visual damage from a spill like what you describe. Smelled some ozone out the back of the console though.

The first thing I do with any malfunctioning equipment, is to disassemble it and Unplug & Replug all connectors and ribbon cables that I can find on the inside.

The first thing I do with any malfunctioning equipment, is to disassemble it and Unplug & Replug all connectors and ribbon cables that I can find on the inside.
That does fix a surprising amount of equipment. :D

Normally that's my modus operandi as well. However, this is not my equipment and I don't want to generate any routes to lay blame of its failure on my work. If it were my board, I'd attempt that, but unfortunately this situation will not allow for what my Massachusetts-born father might call "Yankee Ingenuity".

Your 7,4,1 problem is a pretty good hint of a internal connection issue or stuck button. Power down, take the back off via the TWO flush mount screws, Note how the two main circuit boards want to mesh together at a 90 deg. angle... make sure the two connectors are engaged together all the way and are flat..... No, the tabs do not fit in the slots all the way.. check all other connections and power supply wiring, Set aside.... Flip the main part of the desk over, remove the screws that are not inset, take the bottom off and look for dried liquid or monster drink spilled in to the huge circuit card that carries the buttons and faders. ETC used push buttons that have no tolerance for goop spilled in them at all and they stick and are pretty hard to clean... Clean, dry, blowout everything and then check all ribbon connectors, finally press all the micro controllers back into their sockets as they will walk out after many years of use. Put it all back together again and test for stuck buttons by actually listening to them AND observing the LED too... . Never use lass than 96 dims/Channels on a 24/48 or your A/B faders will have a problem. Block out plenty of time to do this and get the best quality contact cleaner you can get, Yup, It's expensive for the right stuff. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

... . Never use lass than 96 dims/Channels on a 24/48 or your A/B faders will have a problem. ...
Care to expound? What sort of problem will the A/B faders have? I've used an Exp3 set to 12 chans/dims with no ill results.

I'll pass on the advice, but like I said it's not my equipment and I don't want the liability of replacing a board on my plate. If I hear back on any fixes I will post them here for posterity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back