ETC Ion and The Scroller

Hi,

I'm not a pro, just a guy with a theater past trying to help out. I've done a bunch of shows on an ETC Ion but am jumping into some scrollers and moving lights which will surely push me back here again and again for research and maybe some other posts... Anyway, I have 9 7030-D Wybron "The Scroller" is all it says..(don't know how many actually work). To Patch, in the Ion, when I choose Manufacturer, then Wybron, "The Scroller" doesn't show up in the list. There are others, but not this one. I'm surprised because I thought this scroller model was ancient and would surely be listed. Next?

Now a question from left field...... is there a related IRC channel that would be appropriate for lighting?

Thanks

Honestly, when I deal with scrollers I never bother with a profile. I just use them as a regular fixture(s) and vary the colors either on a fader/submaster or memorize which values correspond with that colors and key it in (but usually the former). I guess that method would get quite clumsy if you want many scrollers to have unique addresses, but that's what I've always done. Probably only works well with single-scroll units. If it was one of those multiple scroll, color-mixing units, things would get hinky.

Can you give us a picture of what it looks like or identify from the Wybron Site? If it's a CXI Wybron has nifty app that will calculate the color to DMX values for you. The app is way more convenient than the old school color wheels that you couldn't see in the dark and had to pack like a frisbee. The scroll and write it down method is always a solid choice though. It gets tricky with the CXI's becuase of their color mixing feature, but if it's a single string unit you can also make your own fixture. Give a channel two parts and make one the lamp and one the scroller.

The Scroller (tm) was one of Wybron's first models, long before CXIs and ITs. It takes Edison power and 5-pin DMX. Handy, that it doesn't need a brain.

Like @sk8rsdad suggests, any single-channel scroller profile should do -- you'll want to check the number of frames installed on your gelstring, since that will change what percentage value goes to which frame of color. But the Eos software has some excellent controls for setting up scrollers (which colors in which order), as well as calibrating them when they get a little wonky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back