ETC Moving Light

tyler.martin

Its here! Although it's technically in London right now at PLASA, ETC has finally publicly announced details of the Releve Spot LED moving light. Based off a Colorsource deep blue array, the spot puts out 6000lm at a very reasonable price point for a fixture actually made in the USA. I've seen it in person and had some hands on, it's very nice fixture and does everything you would expect out of an ETC LED product.

http://www.etcconnect.com/ReleveSpot/

Kinda looks like ..... a moving light. $6k range by one source. Is it a breakthrough or does it just make movers more common because its ETC?

The light is an actual additive mixing LED spot, the 1 degree homing feature is pretty cool, and it's super quiet. MSRP is $6,900.

The only feature that sounds innovative/exciting is the homing modifications. I'm curious to see how that behaves in the wild. Given ETC's past attempt to enter the "it's not a moving light" market, I do think it's wise for people to wait and see how these things actually perform/sustain before getting too excited.

They appear to be aimed at the same market as the ColorSource line, perhaps as a texturing fixture given the zoom range and absence of framing shutters. The color engine will probably find it's way into more fixtures with different feature sets. I could see the need for something with an 8-30 degree zoom and framing shutters as an FOH light, for instance. There is a lot of competition in that segment of the market and it's pretty price-sensitive.

The weight seems a tad heavy when contrasted with some of the competition in that output range; the Clay Paky Axcor Spot 300 is 25 lb slimmer.

No framing shutters really has me scratching my head. It doesn't make sense for a theatrical fixture to not have them.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. There are a TON of comparable fixtures, though in fairness to ETC they do LED color better than about anybody.

What I really wanted was a Lustre 2 color engine, shutters, a 7 gobo wheel, zoom and iris. Maybe that's the next generation.

Absolute encoders is an interesting addition. They're promoting it on pan and tilt because that's obvious, but if the effects wheels inside are absolute as well that could prevent a lot of midshow rehoming. The ability to change the engine to 25kHz PWM frequency is interesting, but a feature that I imagine will be used very sparingly.

Wasn't there a problem with True 1 initially? I suspect this might have been past that decision before the revised True 1 was released.just guessing and recollecting.

Seems like a lot of money for something not so special. Kindof assumed ETC wouldn't try moving lights again under ETC and stay under HE unless it was something truly revolutionary for theater.

I love that there's something made by an actual company that produces quality LED engines, considering I'm someone who doesn't believe color changing LEDs belong in moving lights.
Also interesting there's no shutters or even some weird one sided beam shaper thing.
Very happy its powercon and not true1.
Pricepoint is very nice.

Seems like a lot of money for something not so special. Kindof assumed ETC wouldn't try moving lights again under ETC and stay under HE unless it was something truly revolutionary for theater.

ETC puts a lot more time and effort into their engineering than many of the sub-$10 brands. In my eyes this fixture fits into the market at a place where someone is frustrated with their current $2-4k lights (How many threads are there on this forum about Elation fixtures with weird problems for example) and wants to spend some money to get something that will work more reliably, but doesn't have the budget or the need for some of the more high end fixtures. The in house LED engine is also a big plus in my eyes as it's more likely to be well calibrated and consistent across fixtures.

We're also hoping or assuming that this new ETC fixture wasn't already in High End's pipeline. It could've been most of the way done at acquisition time, ETC added some secret sauce to the LED and slapped their name on it.
If not, its convenient timing.

We're also hoping or assuming that this new ETC fixture wasn't already in High End's pipeline. It could've been most of the way done at acquisition time, ETC added some secret sauce to the LED and slapped their name on it.
If not, its convenient timing.

Based on some conversations I've had with relevant ETC employees I doubt that is what happened.

It’s not what happen. A few years ago they were lobbying hard for people to fill out an RnD crew with focus on moving lights.

HES accusation (Acquisition)
was well after that. Now if they took some of the IP and mixed it in that’s another story.

Last edited:
The ability to change the engine to 25kHz PWM frequency is interesting, but a feature that I imagine will be used very sparingly.

Useful in a studio environment to avoid LED refresh / scanning artifacts on camera.

Also, like other commenters, I believe this was underdevelopment / conceptualized before the HE acquisition. But, it seems reasonable to think that the later acquisition of HE could have sped up development or unlocked some key resources, but I'm not sure if that's the case or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back