ETC S4 thermal temp?

LavaASU

So, little trivia question. How hot does a S4 575W HPL get when running at 20%?

I'm using thermal imaging for a project, and decided to play with a S4 today when I had some bored time. I'll post the pics in a few days but figured I'd give people a chance to guess first :).

My guess, if you're talking the back housing, would be around 90 degrees? But that's just taking the max temp from the spec sheet and taking it down to match (with a bit of rounding)

Via tapatalk

Okay, we'll do 3 places:

1. Hottest part of the body at 100%
2. Back of the lamp housing at 100%
3. Actual lamp at 20% (back cap sitting on the bench-- full was out of range of the camera)

:)

Fahrenheit. Some of this is listed on the spec sheet. They have gate temp and rear housing temp in both F and C. It's all estimated but IS based on their own measuring of the temperatures with a thermal probe at 100%

Via tapatalk

I don't have time to do all the research now, but I think I'll need to find the specific heat capacity of the quartz glass and of the metal or ceramic base, along with the efficiency to find out how much of the power going in is converted to heat. Without knowing from ETC and not being able to analyze an actual Source4, we'll have to make some assumptions about the capacity of the heat sink.

Mike- for fun :).
s4 lamp 20.jpg

s4 body.jpg
s4 back cap.jpg

that's not cheating
that's using the tools of the day
and with a name like LavaASU I would expect nothing less

;p

So... did anyone read my first post? You guys are giving me a laugh. I'm not cheating... I had the images to start with... the QOTD part was to let people guess before I posted them.

Good Morning Jay

I agree
but I think you have an extra $0 in there

8)

Are the body temps with lamp at 20% or at full?

Good Morning Jay

I attended a thermal workshop given by Fluke. they offered 1 of that quality for around $4000

Good Morning Jay

I attended a thermal workshop given by Fluke. they offered 1 of that quality for around $4000

Thats probably about right for the current model equivalent. This is an older model (no video or wireless). Fluke very generously loaned all of the data collection equipment for my thesis. There will eventually be a case study on their site about using their CNX (new wireless sensor line-- they have temperature, voltage, and current modules-- because of the wireless they can be placed in a closed panel and readings monitored safely from a distance) and thermal products for scientific research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back