ETC smartpack SL1210 wiring

I'm looking into a Smartpack sl1210 (edison) for touring purposes. I've got a question about powering it. The unit ships with bare wire tails, meant to be tied into a distro. We don't have a distro that will accept bare wire. Our distros accept edison and 30a twist lock connectors.
I'm wondering how we could wire the power for the dimmer rack, is it possible to split the tails to two 30a twist lock connectors? I can then make breakouts to edison in case we need them.
In single phase the input is 60a 3 wire plus ground.
I have an electrician who can do this, but I just want to have an understanding before I talk to him about it. I understand all the disclaimer stuff, so no need to say it. I won't be doing this myself

thanks

If you're looking to power it and single phase requires a 60A Feed your only option would be to use something like camlocks. You wont be able to power it with anything less.

A bunch of distributors make them such as Leprechon and ETC makes some. They're smaller packs like 6 Dimmers however. You're not going to get a big dimmer that has a bunch of edison inputs.

I missed the part about your "dimmer" noise. Can you be more specific as it's likely not a thing the dimmers are necessarily causing as it could be a miswire or something is incorrectly done. Are you talking about a 60 Hz Hum?

This may be out of your budget, but we just bought 2 of the 48 channel
proxy.php

Smartpack Touring System racks at my church. They are very nice racks when you don't need a full blown Sensor touring system. The Smartpack Touring Systems have Cam-Lok in's (and thru's as an option). Output options are just about anything you can imagine: edison, twistlock, stage pin, socapex, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
What'd that setup set you guys back?

Not my place to say, but I think we got a rather good deal on it. The racks uphold ETC's reputation for quality. Haven't really put much load on them yet. Talk to me in a month when I have 92 of the 96 channels loaded down.

I was hoping for something rack mountable, what I mean by messy is that dimmer packs just don't look neat, wires this way, cables that way etc.

The dimmer noise isn't a 60hz hum, it's just more of a buzz coming through the audio system when you raise the fader. it's not anything in the audio system, which is high quality, d&b amps and speakers and a digidesign profile.
we have tried separate distros, running cables totally independent from the audio stuff.

currently we are using Chauvet pro d6 dimmer packs.

the smart bar is an option, but not my favorite. I like to be able to get to the dimmers on the ground in case something happens.

So this is a touring setup not a permanent install? No matter where you are you have the noise issue?

If your using a touring setup whats the functional difference of a smartpack vs sensor? Besides cost obviously.

The sensor touring racks allow for all the different sensor modules that are available, the networking options of the CEM+, an optional patch system, 96 2.4k channels vs. a max of 48 1.2k channels with the smartpack system, etc.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk.

I was hoping for something rack mountable, what I mean by messy is that dimmer packs just don't look neat, wires this way, cables that way etc.

The dimmer noise isn't a 60hz hum, it's just more of a buzz coming through the audio system when you raise the fader. it's not anything in the audio system, which is high quality, d&b amps and speakers and a digidesign profile.
we have tried separate distros, running cables totally independent from the audio stuff.

currently we are using Chauvet pro d6 dimmer packs.

the smart bar is an option, but not my favorite. I like to be able to get to the dimmers on the ground in case something happens.

It may be all high quality gear but what about the audio chain, ex. cable running from board to amp, amp to speaker, things like that? The reason i ask is most of the time buzz whenever dimmers are raised means that there is either an un-balanced signal running by some power (most likely) or that they didn't run conduit (also a likely issue).

we have had the problem indoors and out. But not necessarily every time we set up. The audio snake is digital. All cabling from amps to speakers is NL4
The smartpack touring system would be perfect except for the price.

I can't seem to find too much information on the smartbar. The product page is not very descriptive. How many circuits are there and what size?
I think I'd rather have dimmer packs than a smartbar, as I would prefer that they live near the pd so I can get to them

can anyone recommend good dimmer packs at a decent price?

I thought it was obvious that I'm looking for 12 channels of 1.2k dimming. preferrably rack mounted. Looking in the $14-1500 range.
The touring system is twice the dimming I need at 3 times the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back