The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Ever had a concussion?

Discussion in 'Safety' started by ruinexplorer, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

I have shockingly good "you are about to run your head into something" reflexes, and have had a bunch of near misses, but nothing worse than a small bump, while working.

Now, backstairs at Annie Pfeiffer Chapel while on a visit/tour, yeah. But they knew better, and had permanent foam rubber padding gaffed up there. :)

2. hobbsies

hobbsies Active Member

Assistant Lighting Director
    I actually had a concussion recently and was off from work for almost 3 months, receiving workers comp pay checks in lieu of my regular paycheck.

I threw a box of unused programs in a dumpster and when I turned around to pick up another box, apparently it had landed on a 2x4 just right to catapult it out of the dumpster and hit me in the back of the head, BELOW my hard hat. Right behind my ear. Mind you, I've walked into I-beams, stood up into lighting fixtures, had a multi cable dropped on my head, etc and never suffered any dizziness/nauseousness, but this light tap (really didn't hit me very hard) made me feel ill for months. I plan on buying a petzl hard hat to wear everywhere on load in sites, as I never want to put myself at risk again.The dumpster was a recycling dumpster and there shouldn't have been wood in there, but some carpenter threw some stick lumber in and we didn't realize it.

The time off work was nice, for the first few weeks, but I got bored really fast. Fortunately didn't have any brain damage or internal bleeding. I'm glad my company insisted I take the time off to recover though.

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

Tough lesson to learn. Be glad you've learned it, remember it, pass it on to others and BE THANKFUL you've escaped seemingly unscathed. THANK YOU for spreading your wisdom here.
    Toodleoo!
    Ron Hebbard.

4. kiwitechgirl

kiwitechgirl Well-Known Member

I'm super late to this one, but...I've had two work concussions - first one was during a load out, I crawled out from under the false floor just as someone booted a piece of set to detach it, and it fell onto the back of my head. I don't remember much more about that load out except that the chief LX wouldn't let me climb ladders. Second was was also during a load out; we were bumping from an outdoor stage to a truck and as I was wheeling a roadcase of Source 4s down the ramp, the ramp slid off the stage edge, dumping me and the roadcase on the paving stones below. I landed on my hip, elbow and head.

Worst one I've ever seen was up in the roof of an arena - the catwalks are fine for a shorty like me, but taller people have to be careful. A young, tall and enthusiastic tech got a bit too enthusiastic when asked to go and get something from the other end of the catwalk, turned and ran full tilt into an I-beam. I don't recall how we got him down, but I took him off for medical attention and he was off work for about three months.

5. ruinexplorer

ruinexplorer Minion CB Mods Premium Member Fight Leukemia

Projectionist
    Looks like this will be a discussion at USITT.

6. josh88

josh88 Remarkably Tired. Premium Member Fight Leukemia

Oddly enough. I had a mild one just a week or so ago. Carrying 2 fixtures on a load out in the catwalk of a convention center exhibition hall. Ducked the first pipe, didn't duck the second one, knocked me flat onto my back. next thing I knew the girl I was working with was right next to me.... but she had been 75 feet away on the other end of the catwalk so I can only think I must have been out for a second or so.
    Decided it was finally time to get one of those petzl helmets to serve as a bump cap.

RonHebbard likes this.
  7. ruinexplorer

Projectionist
    "A stagehand walks into a bar...he got a concussion"

8. hobbsies

hobbsies Active Member

I've been researching concussions a lot lately because mine flared back up shortly after going back to work earlier this year. I was out for another 4 months this time. I found most doctors would just tell me to go home and rest, but that wasn't cutting it for me. A lot of people suffer head injuries and the advice of "go home and rest" doesn't work for them, and they suffer for YEARS, or for the rest of their lives.

New research shows that you can identify which part of the brain is injured by how your eyes/vestibular system behaves. You can then treat a brain injury by stimulating the part of the vestibular system that isn't working properly. I have been seeing a chiropractic neurologist for the last 3 months that have really helped me recover. Since being back at work the last 4 weeks, I've hit my head on things several more times and have not had a re-flare up, and I largely attribute that to the work I've done with him.

Here's a youtube playlist of videos about recent brain injury research. I highly recommend watching them if you are suffering PCS or know someone who is. If nothing else, watch the first video (it's 7 minutes long).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYl5XSL2lzNhcAlvRWbQOYz4En8H7MFx1

9. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Perhaps you should invest in a Hard hat.

10. hobbsies

hobbsies Active Member

I have a Petzl, it's fantastic and has been great at minimizing damage from head knocks.

11. mikefellh

mikefellh Active Member

Had two major ones, but not in staging.

One was when I was working for an electrician, I had forgotten that I left a hammer on top of an A-frame ladder when my boss wanted to talk to me and frazzled me so much, I went to fold up the ladder to move it, and the hammer got me in the head.

The other was when I worked for a store off-loading a truck, I went to jump off the back into the doorway and didn't take into consideration the height difference...my head hit the top of the brick doorway, and my feet kept going until I was lying horizontal in mid-air, and then fell flat (just like a cartoon).

I should have gone to the hospital for both of them, but instead just rubbed my head until it stopped hurting.

12. ruinexplorer

Projectionist
  13. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
    I'm up front and am clear I will take issues to the Owner if it's in their best interest. The architects I regularly work with and call me back are fine with the Owner making decisions. I do what I believe is in the Owners best interest, as I belive do a lot of my colleagues. Worse than and architect is the Owner's own designated representative, who will bypass and over rule the users on such issues.