Automated Fixtures EVL Prospot 250

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with an EVL Prospot 250?
Would you recommend it or should I go for another fixture?

Thanks in advance,
Josh.

I've never heard of the fixture - or Evil Lighting, the apparent manufacturer of the fixture. Buying from obscure little companies with just a few imported products usually isn't a good idea because the support won't be as good. The golden standard in el cheapo 250W arc source movers is the Elation Design Spot 250. Great little fixture that is actually surprisingly reliable and there are a lot of units out there. I think that they only sell the Pro version now, which is a slightly upgraded version. But it's still a very economical fixture. There's also the new Platinum Spot 5R which uses the new Phillips Platinum 5R lamp - I saw a demo of that thing and it's a pretty sweet little fixture. I don't know about Elation availability in the UK, but it seems like you should be able to get your hands on some without too much looking.

Also, if you're looking to use these for theatre shows, please don't. Unless you have a specific need in mind for 250 watt movers with no color mixing and a very narrow beam angle, just don't. They're great for concerts and other sorts of shows, so if that's the intended use, good. But not for theatre, they just aren't that great of a fixture for it. Spend the money on some accessories like Rosco I-Cues and the like. See the Gafftaper Method for more on this.

I've never heard of the fixture - or Evil Lighting, the apparent manufacturer of the fixture. Buying from obscure little companies with just a few imported products usually isn't a good idea because the support won't be as good. The golden standard in el cheapo 250W arc source movers is the Elation Design Spot 250. Great little fixture that is actually surprisingly reliable and there are a lot of units out there. I think that they only sell the Pro version now, which is a slightly upgraded version. But it's still a very economical fixture. There's also the new Platinum Spot 5R which uses the new Phillips Platinum 5R lamp - I saw a demo of that thing and it's a pretty sweet little fixture. I don't know about Elation availability in the UK, but it seems like you should be able to get your hands on some without too much looking.

Also, if you're looking to use these for theatre shows, please don't. Unless you have a specific need in mind for 250 watt movers with no color mixing and a very narrow beam angle, just don't. They're great for concerts and other sorts of shows, so if that's the intended use, good. But not for theatre, they just aren't that great of a fixture for it. Spend the money on some accessories like Rosco I-Cues and the like. See the Gafftaper Method for more on this.

Thanks for the reply, the company who is selling it is well known by many technicians around here and they are trusted.
Apparently, they say it is a very good fixture, but I will probably take your advice instead.

Thanks,
Josh.

After some more research, it looks like they're selling the same fixtures that Elektralite does for their moving heads and moving mirrors. I wouldn't want to ever even try to use those things. ADJ and Chauvet get a bad rap from some people for being cheap chinese junk, but they are nothing in the crap department compared to Elektralite. Elektralite fixtures that have been through the service department at the company where I work give errors and issues that I've never seen in any other moving heads before, no matter what brand. They are some real pieces of work. Stay away.

After some more research, it looks like they're selling the same fixtures that Elektralite does for their moving heads and moving mirrors. I wouldn't want to ever even try to use those things. ADJ and Chauvet get a bad rap from some people for being cheap chinese junk, but they are nothing in the crap department compared to Elektralite. Elektralite fixtures that have been through the service department at the company where I work give errors and issues that I've never seen in any other moving heads before, no matter what brand. They are some real pieces of work. Stay away.

Thanks for the advice. I will go for a moving head from Martin then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back