Control/Dimming Express 48/96 configuration for non-techs

cnote

We have a Express 48/96 that is currently set up as a single scene board. The first 48 channels are controlling the ETC dimmers, of which only dimmers 1-41 are used/wired out. But about 10 of the dimmers (in this range) are not used.
The second 48 are currently assign for the few intellegent (DMX) units we have.
The DMX units are set in the following plan: (all RGB fixtures)
-Upstage left
-Upstage right
-Downstage left
-Downstage right
-Stage facia
-House Walls

I like to program my cues for each service weekend. But because of the non technical people we have running the board, I am thinking of setting it up for two scenes. Scene one worship, scene two Service. This way they set what they feel they need for each and the cross fade.
Typically we use the same, yawn, settings week to week except for wall color.
Thoughts?

I gotta finish an assignment due at midnight, but I'll plot out how I'd do it for the board monkeys either later tonight or tomorrow if that'll help?

Would it work for you to use one scene with subs. It would allow you to make scenes or looks that you could then combine to make different looks without writing a bunch of cues.

Umkay here's what I'd do. Keep it in single scene mode. Put the dimmers on 1-48 and the LEDs on 49-96. Then Record the Worship on one sub WITHOUT the color and the service on another sub without color. If you need house lights or anything put those on subs also. Let's say there's 4 subs if you decide to add a couple more looks. Now you have 6 areas with the LEDs it looks like.

2 options:
1. simple: record about a dozen pretty color combinations with the LEDs onto subs. The ops can pick from that.
2. slightly advanced : record a R G B for each of the 6 sets. If you want them to fade out the LEDs, then fade in with the new colors, record an inhibitive sub for the LEDs. Otherwise they can do slow live changes.

Tell the ops only touch the subs and make sure it's labeled WELL.

If you need help with programming let me know and I'd be happy to walk you through it. I programmed on an express for a couple of years, so I know it's tricks.

I still plan to use the cues for myself. I set them up on my computer (i have a few scripts that help with that) and copy them to floppy. I love one button control.

On of the reasons I was thinking of going to two scene mode was to give the tweakers complete control. While the service stays pretty constant, the worship has some variances in where the musicians stand. And even who/how many are playing. I guess with 24 subs I could set several zones for worship.

It just dawned on me that with several pages, I could have 'boxed' color sub sets, plus a DIY color page.

Thanks guys

I like the idea of using the 24 submasters as opposed to limiting yourself to 2x48-channel scenes, but caution against the idea of multiple pages for anyone other than yourself. It's too easy for a novice to get lost when using multiple pages, and then also one needs multiple layers of board tape to identify them.

The concept of Inhibitive Subs, especially if there are more than one, can be difficult for novices to grasp as well. Since you're using some LED fixtures, do you have them set-up and patched as fixtures rather than channels, so you can recall them via focus points? You might want to see (or add to) the Collaborative Article, Programming Moving Lights on an ETC Express(ion).

Now alternatively, were you to insist on two-scene operation, your RGB lights (assuming these are LED fixtures which do not move?) would need 18 channels, leaving 30 for dimmers, which sounds like almost what you have. But using an other than 1-to-1 softpatch adds a layer of complexity that may be too much. On the other hand, you wouldn't be limited to having control channels located in the (probably somewhat arbitrary) order of your dimmers, and gaps/unused handles. See the thread, 1:1 patch: Do you use it?, for much debate on this topic.

Last edited:
The way I would do multiple pages (originally for my ops, but I decided I liked it too), is to record macros to switch. I put the macro to goto sub page 1 on M1, page 2 on M2, and page 3 (if needed) on M3. I did that mainly for this stock busking type setup I built. I had the FX stuff on page 1 and the still stuff on page 2. If you label those clearly, and train your ops and yourself to verify the page (it doesn't hurt anything to hit the M1 if you are already on page 1).

I do have multiple dimmers assigned (patched) to channels.

I think I will try the single route.
1:Worship
2:Inhibit
3:Service
4:Offering (same as 1) (just to keep flow)

Then program different colors in 6 to 20 just to separate them.

24: House whites

Seems simple.

I still like my cues. I can press GO all day long:mrgreen:

I guess I'm just old but I learned on manual boards and have a tendency to default to that method. I have never run my Express as a two scene board. I do the one scene with subs and mix accordingly. The advantage to me is when in tech they can jump all over the script and I can roll with the punches. The other side of the coin, my shows are always a little different every night.

Last edited:
..... The other side of the coin, my shows are always a little different every night.

I have the same tendancy. That is why I love cues. Plus if I get distracted I always have someone nearby who knows to punch the next cue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back