Facing and Capping a 4x8

bobgaggle

I've run into a bit of a problem when it comes to facing stock 4x8 platforms. Ideally the cap (maso) extends over the edge of the platform to cover the facing, which greatly reduces the chances of an actor kicking the facing off or otherwise damaging it when stepping off the platform. The problem I'm having is figuring out a way to cap platforms without wasting a ton of material. In a perfect world I'd buy a sheet of maso at 8'-0 3/8" x 4'-0 3/8" to accomodate the overhang, but I dream. The only other option I'm thinking of is to use 2 sheets to get the coverage I need then route off the excess, but that leaves an unsightly seam and a lot of waste material. Of course I could bring the facing flush with the top of the cap but that defeats the purpose of the cap protecting the facing from people's feet.

Anyone out there have a solution to save material while keeping my facing intact?

I can't say that I've ever had someone kick facing off of a platform. I've had someone put a foot through it once, but not by catching it. I did do one show where we faced with 1/2 ply I believe. For that we butted it tight and level with the the cap, and then rounded off the facing, so there was the seam there on the edges but still nothing to catch a foot on. How are you attaching the facing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My shop views the facing of our stock risers as sacrificial. It gets put on after putting a set of platforms together. The usual practice is to cut the facing a little short of the floor-to-platform deck measurement (1/8" or 1/4") and tack it in place with staples. Being slightly lower than the deck, the facing is unlikely to get get caught by any shoe tread. Tape and paint hide the gap.

If you switch from using Masonite to 1/4" MDF your problem will bne alleviated. Standarf size MDF is 49x97 as opposed to the Maso's 48x96. Put on your facing, put on your cover, route to the facing, Viola' no more catching feet on facing.

Back when I was doing this type of thing, if we were to build a 4x8, the deck was built to 47 1/2"x95 1/2". Ya, it was a bit more work but you got the right look and function.

I kinda like Van's idea, but if it has to masonite, I'd say: 1) if the platform only faces one way, you might be able to cap the facing and let the cap be a little shy on the upstage side, or 2) don't cap the facing but let it come up flush with the cap and then round it over a little to prevent kick-off. Screw it in rather than staple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back