Favorite Blue Gels?

Esoteric

Hey guys, what is your favorite blue that is more saturate than R60, but still can be used as key or fill light in a melodrama/dark comedy? I need it to have some red in it, but still read as pretty cool and it will be in a 750W Source 4.

Also in the same vein, what about your favorite pink/orange that could be happy springy and menacing (in a 500W Fresnel) depending on the intensity of the light?

Mike

I find R68 and R69 to be pleasing, but it depends on where you take it.

As for a springy pink/orange R318 might work.

R372...granted its probably not what you want at all....but I lovez it.

R64 Slate Blue/L161 Light Steel Blue. Or, if you want to play safe, L201. Hard to find a blue with "some red in it" without going to lav.

"pink/orange that could be happy springy and menacing", L108. Maybe R303, never tried it.

Last edited:
I am partial to R361, it doesn't suffer from amber shift as much as some other blues as you dim it. I shy away from L201 it tends to turn a bit green when used with other colors a good alternative is R3202 which will stay a truer blue when used with other blues and ambers.

I've always been a big fan of L079 - great colour as far as I'm concerned!

R385 has always been my favorite but probably too saturated for your needs, although maybe not in a 750w S4. It's very dark blue with a bit of red.

R68 and R78 are both nice. For the pinky/orangey, R19 and R22 both do interesting things on the orange side, and R24 does some weird stuff depending on intensity. The low 40s in Rosco (salmon range) can be interesting as well.

R64 Light Steel Blue

hands down. I keep trying to get away from it, but it simply has the best skin-tone rendering in that transmission/saturation range. This ends up in almost every show I light, no matter how much I try to get away from it and use another gel for a change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back