Conventional Fixtures Favorite Gel Color

I would have to say that R66 makes a nice uncomfortable look on stage and works well when combined with R60
R316 is a nice amber to use as down light on set pieces.
R74 is good for visibility in a night scene.

Re: favorite gels

For me, I love Spring Yellow (Lee 100, Rosco 100)
Oh, wow, that color hurts my eyes! How long has that color been there?

Careful, LightingTechie, when you say Rosco 100. I see you're from the UK, so you meant Rosco E-Color 100, but around here when someone says Rosco 100, it's assumed they mean Roscolux 100: Frost. I don't know that anyone uses E-Color in the US. And since it's a rip-off of the LEE line, not sure why anyone in Europe would use it either.

Re: favorite gels

Oh, wow, that color hurts my eyes! How long has that color been there?

Careful, LightingTechie, when you say Rosco 100. I see you're from the UK, so you meant Rosco E-Color 100, but around here when someone says Rosco 100, it's assumed they mean Roscolux 100: Frost. I don't know that anyone uses E-Color in the US. And since it's a rip-off of the LEE line, not sure why anyone in Europe would use it either.

I see what you mean, I don't really use Rosco, it just happens I have one of their swatch books (e-colour+) which also has Spring Yellow in it. I always try to use Lee HT filters.

Time to resurect this thread. My all time favorite is Cinemoid No. 8. Long ago I was fortunate enough to be a local stage hand for Alvin Ailey's American Dance Theatre. They were in Stillwater, OK for 3 days. Much of the LD was by Tom Skelton. Most of the gel was Rosco with a few Lee colors. I was never able to get my own Cinemoid swatchbook but I bought that color several times. Skelton mostly used it for shinbusters. I also found it great for use in carbon arc followspots for rock and roll shows.
Another favorite color is R344 follies pink, maybe just because an old time stagehand told me its "real" name.
Further useless info, my first gel swatchbook was for Roscolene, at least I think that was the name, it was actually "gel".

... I do remember that one of the gels was mostly clear with random splotches of different colors. I have no idea of its use.
I'd never heard of this, but I believe ship has spoken of it before, and may even have access to some. Perhaps he can photograph it and post a picture. The only thing I can think of is as a pre-made slide for a Linnebach projector, to add texture/break-up. Remember, the use of gelatin color media predates the gobo in an ERS.

im a relatively new designer, but after hitting the swatches for an day or two i feel that i gravitate to certain color filters over others. What are some of your favorites and how would you employ them.as an cyc wash i personally love rosco's r21(golden amber) and r24(scarlet) it causes a bloody sky look. it looks great in contrast to sharp shadows.

I have always preferred Rosco for Reds, Ambers, etc. Lee for color corrections and GAM for their Blues.

May be a bit vague, but the Rosco blues (R80's) use too much red in their formulation, not that the formulation may not fit an application. GAM has the deepest, richest blues I have seen (849 is a favortie) and Lee has mastered color correction for film and video applications.

The question that always helped me choose the right color was, "What does the script tell me?"

Throwing myself into the fray......

It really depends on what I'm looking for! What one would most often see me use, when I can use it, is Apollo 6900 ButterScotch. Love the saturation and the lean towards red versus green. That said, my most included color is Rosco 54. It is great front light, and especially useful as a mid on booms especially when working with African-American skin tones in dance.

I can't believe I haven't posted here...

I like Roscolux #83 for our sky blue Cyc. For side and backlight, I love Roscolux #47.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back