Conventional Fixtures Favorite Gel Color

Who doesnt have a theatrical rig in their bedroom? I have a couple pars and a Shake...

My garage is a grid of Dextron on sch.40. To some extent in a shake and bake condo, it does have a good reinforcing structure added with the floor to ceiling shelves or tool tables also bolted to the walls or ceiling, this reinforcement to the pre-manufactured trussing at least over the garage. This even if the added weight might do away with that benefit some. But that's old gear stored at home (somewhere over 40 fixtures) that hopefully will go to work at some point so I can gain more space at home.

Last edited:
Seeing as how Ms. Rosenthal died in 1969 and tungsten-halogen lamps didn't become prevalent in the theatre until the mid-1970s at the earliest, I'd have to disagree with this characterization. Furthermore, I can find no references in The Magic of Light. Rosenthal, Jean and Wertenbaker, Lael. Little, Brown and Company, 1972, to halogen lamps or even axial ERSs. Thus I would classify her as one of last of the "original" Lighting Designers, rather than the first of the "modern" ones. And my opinion is the book is over-rated.

If I remember correctly, Lee224 is close to what RX107 was.

Fair enough in response and debate. I view a white light theory presented I credit her to as in the book to concept but do need to re-read again in more than concept presented than what was said. Also while I followed it at times did not always in seeing a special or in that McCandless overall concept in being at times better.

Thanks for the substitute gel by the way. But the book's not over rated. Will re-read and find where this concept I was presented with in it found. But it was useful as a design concepet in general - find the beam angle first, than worry about as needed the gel, and in general a gel is good but is supplement.

My at this point opinin at least.

Who doesnt have a theatrical rig in their bedroom? I have a couple pars and a Shake...

Well - not in my bedroom - but I have some color kinetics wall washers in my Kitchen to give me color under the counter, and a couple of zip strips over the counter. And some faux baby fresnels on track lights.

And an old PC unit on top of the cabinet - just for decoration..

And some Mole Richardson handles in the on some of the cabinets.

And another PC with stand ( About 6 feet tall ) in my living room as decoration.

Humm - I'm beginning to see a theme here. - And I have not even gotten to the Trompe l'oeil Painting of backstage and pin rail on the wall.

Life is short - have fun with your passions.

John

Re: favorite gels

Oh yeah, Forgot about Bluetylicious. I remember most of the names in the "new colors" section in my Apollo swatchbook were pretty good.

Found it! "Alexander The Grape" "Blurple" "Peach My Interest" "Bodacious Blueberry" and of course "Fatherless Amber"

Rosco 39. "Scelton Exotic Sangria". The most wonderful color ever. It is very good in dream sequences/ fun to look at.

Butfor practial applications, I like r09 for warm, and R62 for cool. They work nicely together. Especially for "inside" lighting. If you have and Iphone or an Ipod touch, you should check out the "Iswatch" app. It only costs $10, and it has almost any gel you could imagine and gives the complementary colors to every gel in its library. Very helpful.

Rosco 39. "Scelton Exotic Sangria". The most wonderful color ever. It is very good in dream sequences/ fun to look at.

Butfor practial applications, I like r09 for warm, and R62 for cool. They work nicely together. Especially for "inside" lighting. If you have and Iphone or an Ipod touch, you should check out the "Iswatch" app. It only costs $10, and it has almost any gel you could imagine and gives the complementary colors to every gel in its library. Very helpful.

Still waiting for Verizon to sign up the IPhone...

Still waiting for Verizon to sign up the IPhone...

It's likely to not happen for a long time. Apple has signed a contract with AT&T to ONLY sell iPhones with them.

Found it! "Alexander The Grape" "Blurple" "Peach My Interest" "Bodacious Blueberry" and of course "Fatherless Amber"

Can't forget "King Congo Blue", and "Yellow Snow"!

Alexander the Grape is my personal favorite. And what better nerdy lighting joke is there than King Congo Blue and Fatherless Amber?

What is your favorite gel color/number?

Everybody loves working with gels (well I think so!?!) and whenever I can get my hands on a load of Bamber (Bastard Amber) gels, I really go crazy! So what are some of your favorite gel colors/#'s?

Thanks,
Trae

Last edited:
Re: What is your favorite gel color?

I think the first gel number anybody remembers is Roscoe 26(red), then 80(blue).
I really like Lee 116(bluegreen) & 128(magenta) Plus Roscoe 49(deep magenta)
Combinations are really important to me so I would need to say a buncha color combos . . .

Re: What is your favorite gel color?

There is a thread much longer already in existence, and I am too lazy to google it. I believe the standard answer is "whatever the show needs and still looks good in is my favorite".

My standard W/C washes are usually:
R04 Medium Bastard Amber
R51 Surprise Pink

Some other favorites are:
R39 Skeleton Exotic Sangria - Always great for specials or washes in some applications.
R60 No Color Blue - Good for creating pale, icy, skin tones resulting in an "uncomfortable" look
R388 Gaslight Green - A very niche gel. Best word I'd use to describe it is nasty. Great for specials and pinspots in a harsh, dark, environment.

My all-time favorite "auxiliary" gel is R119 Light Hamburg Frost. A perfect diffuse for ERSs that makes for a nice even wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back