Favorite MEWP?

blueeyesdesigns

I've gotten the green light to replace our MEWP (BEFORE it dies! AMAZING). My instinct is to go with Genie because it's what I know, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask what other folks are using/liking/hating.

Features I'm looking for:
  • Drivable while raised
  • Extendable bucket
  • Working height at least 23-25'

I'm looking at:
  • Genie GR-20
  • JLG E18MCL
  • Skyjack SJ20E
  • MEC MME25
I know y'all have opinions; I'd love to hear 'em.

Last edited:
We had an older version of the JLG you listed, it was a good reliable machine. We diligently got it serviced yearly so could count on it. I am 5’10” in height, spent countless hours in ours, could reach lighting units at 26 ft. Having a drivable while extended cut focus time immensely. Only thing you had to py attention to is it was heavy at 2200 lbs or so, so could not be used on anything except a robust floor as well had to be a level floor. It was expensive but likely paid for itself not needing 2 additional crew to deal with cranking outriggers on a conventional Genie unit.

Reactions: Van
I'd start by confirming what your local shops are used to/qualifed to service, and get their opinions. I haven't used the MEC or skyjack single person drivables, but my experience with a skyjack scissor lift was it it was a much more abrupt (read jerky) control than the genie or JLG. it's been a few years, but it took some adjusting to. It also looks like the SJ20 doesn't have an extendable bucket, just the SJ18 does.

I have the skyjack at the church I work at. Anecdotally I agre with Dan that the skyjack is more jerky to drive than JLG or Genie lifts, but I haven't had them side by side to actually compare.

I second - buy the brand that has the best support in your area.
I'm also fairly sure they all use the same 6v batteries, but battery availability is also something to look at.

It's also worth looking at the steering style - the GR20 is scissor lift style steering, where you have a L/R switch on top of the joystick to turn the front wheels. Most of the JLG lifts that I've driven only have 2 powered wheels - you turn by moving the joystick side to side, which steers by turning the rear wheels in opposite directions(front wheels are swivel casters). Both methods have their advantages/disadvantages(pivoting in place vs precision turning while moving forward/backward), and both methods can cause problems on marley floors if you aren't careful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back