Favourite Cable Testers: Discuss.

seanandkate

Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
I'm looking for a cable tester that even high school students can't destroy (tall order--I get it -- there's a reason I'm looking for a new one). Just needs the basics: RCA, TRS, 3,4,5 pin XLR. What are your favs?

Well....a good multimeter can test continuity...can be had for about $30-$50....and for the most part that is mostly all you are testing with most cable testers...that one side rings true to the other side and doesn't crossover or is wired backwards...AND it can do much more then just do continuity--like test & read voltages..or AC & DC currents, resistance etc etc...plus in my view a student should learn the bare basics of using and relying upon a multimeter first...to understand cables and connectors and proper wiring and the why's....before just tossing them a quickie cable tester that tells them if the ground is lifted or shorted across a pin or whatever......but thats just me.

That being said...this is a popular one in my kit..

Bugcatcher

and the Rat sniffer/sender tester is a nice little pocket gadget..nice to test cables but also nice to test ends with a connection to a console too.. Rat Sound Systems Inc. Home Page

The Velleman is a nice looking one that has recently caught my eye--but I have not had a chance to check it out or play with it--but it does a ton of connections...
http://www.markertek.com/Tools-Test-Equipment/Cable-Test-Equipment/VTTEST15.xhtml

For DMX (since you mentioned 5pin)...well I got started using and learning on the Gam Command from Gam, and the Lil-DMXter from Goddard designs...and now Goddard has the LilDMXter2 and the Mini...so for me its habit over what may be best..plus its more then just a cable tester but its a DMX reader and sender and much much more.. Goddard Designs
But..they are expensive....

Others I'm sure will have other ideas...depends on the costs & what you want to spend... A good pocket multimeter will give you just as much service and more then a limited uni-tasker...

Hope this helps get ya started.. GLTA...

-w

Last edited:
Anything by Rolls. We use the CS1000, looks like the CT1 would fit your needs better.

It was actually the CS1000 that died on me. :evil: I'll have to check out the CT1.

I own this guy, and it does just about everything except 4pin XLR: MI Tee Cables - MI-CT1 Cable Tester

Haven't had any problems with it yet, and I've tested quite a few cables with it of various types. I don't think I'll ever use the USB testing bit 'cause it's A to A, and I don't have anything that would necessitate an A to A cable. It's proved quite useful otherwise, though, in identifying shorts, loose connections, and cross-wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back