Field Sound System HELP!!!

Sam Cash

Hi, At my high school we are planning on doing a whole school event out on the oval (Basically a big field about 500ft by 175ft. it what we call it in Australia) We have about 2500 students and we need a sound system to cover a goof 75% of the field. I was thinking 10 normal powered speakers place around the field but if we had to pack up suddenly (like if it was about to rain) it would be a pain. We don't have the money for a line array system so our budget is about $7000 max including a way to hang or mount it. If anyone could suggest something it would be a life saver.

I guess the first problem I'd foresee would be power, how much is available and how far away is it?

I guess the first problem I'd foresee would be power, how much is available and how far away is it?
Yes power would be a concern, but the better first question is how loud must the system be able to accomplish. A small diagram of the field and where your "Stage" would be would also be helpful in determining placement of speakers and coverage patter that this speakers need to be able to accomplish.

It also depends on what it is you're actually doing. If it's just announcing (i.e. no live music) then simple PA horns running off a 70v amplifier would suffice. They're cheap, easy to setup and tear down, and most of them are water resistant. You can add several in parallel without much problem.

If you are doing live music, putting 10 speakers around a big field is going to create a lot of delay issues without a DSP that can control for that.

+1 on the diagram and power concern, but what is being amplified?

If the right solution is horns, then PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, use 100V since you are in Aus :)
(Yes you can get 70V, but the standard is 100V and you'll be best served by sticking to it...)

In addition to the questions already asked:

Are you looking at renting pr purchasing? Unless you would use the system regularly then you may be better off to rent from a local sound provider.

What kind of event is it? Will there be crowd noise or other ambient noise that the PA system will need to get above suffiiciently to be heard and understood?

Have you done anything like this in the past and if so, what did you use and how did it work out?

If the right solution is horns, then PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, use 100V since you are in Aus :)
(Yes you can get 70V, but the standard is 100V and you'll be best served by sticking to it...)

Whoops, missed the whole "down under" memo. It pays to read the fine print....:shock:

Hi, For Power i'm looking at renting some 3 phase (415 Volts at 32amps) down from the main hall (about 1000ft away(almost put meters)). If not ill rent a generator. It will be about 2500 Students aged between 12 - 18. We will need to play music and there will be a singer/guitar duo if that helps anyone help me. Thanks

I attached a diagram of our field (stage is no accurate it about 15ft by 10ft) oh and that octagonal building is the main hall (yeah i know but its primarily a sporting hall and there is offices on one side and the stage is on the other)

Attachments

• schooloval.JPG
    schooloval.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 196
Hi, For Power i'm looking at renting some 3 phase (415 Volts at 32amps) down from the main hall (about 1000ft away(almost put meters)). If not ill rent a generator. It will be about 2500 Students aged between 12 - 18. We will need to play music and there will be a singer/guitar duo if that helps anyone help me. Thanks

At 1000 ft away it would be cheaper to rent a generator than enough cable to make that run. Not to mention cable ramps, ties, and such. Not to mention the voltage drop over that distance.

Given the size of the event, and your limited expertise, you might want to hire a local sound company to do the whole job. They can provide the gear, haul it in, setup it up, and operate it for a lot less money than your budget. It may actually cost a bit less than renting the gear yourself.

I do a fair amount of sound re-enforcement, recording, and mixing myself, and I've learned to know what my limits are. There are times when it just makes sense to hire the guy with a system in a truck. Covering a crowd of 2500 across a distance of 500 feet is not a small project.

I do a fair amount of sound re-enforcement, recording, and mixing myself, and I've learned to know what my limits are. There are times when it just makes sense to hire the guy with a system in a truck. Covering a crowd of 2500 across a distance of 500 feet is not a small project.

Plus the guy in the truck then bears the responsibility of what to do if it rains, or if the truss holding your array falls over (God forbid), or if an amp blows, or any number of things that can go wrong with a reinforcement system of that caliber. He'll have a plan B, and maybe a C and a D.

Also, based on your added info, a constant-voltage paging system is not your best option either.

Plus the guy in the truck then bears the responsibility of what to do if it rains, or if the truss holding your array falls over (God forbid), or if an amp blows, or any number of things that can go wrong with a reinforcement system of that caliber. He'll have a plan B, and maybe a C and a D.

Also, based on your added info, a constant-voltage paging system is not your best option either.
Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back