Fire curtain replacement

Besides the motor needing major overhaul or replacement, an FA trip system needs to get installed. Currently it’s pull release or cut the tensioned rope, so needs to be updated and set to trip with FA. Plus heat sensors, etc...l. A theatrical rigging firm (not Sapsis or PDO) did a report and was clear on not doing a deluge, thank God.
Steve - are you speaking for the original poster? I did not see where his was motorized currently.

You don't think the fact that the rigging contractor gets no work or profit out of a deluge system might have influence in their recommendation?

Steve - are you speaking for the original poster? I did not see where his was motorized currently.

You don't think the fact that the rigging contractor gets no work or profit out of a deluge system might have influence in their recommendation?

No I was speaking of my own experience, the lack of a motorized system for the OP I would think would vastly complicate any update to a FA trigger.

And I’m certain the rigging contractor would desire the upgrade in place of deluge, but as we chatted, we all had multiple examples of recall of deluge activating in error, with tens of thousands in resulting damage, not to mention weeks of loss of facility. Thus we desire fire curtain and is what I would recommend to the OP

The fire alarm device basically "cuts a rope" so works on motorized or manual just fine. (OK - it lets a rope go slack - which use to be cutting, or fusible links no longer required, etc. )

I don't think its as simplistic as deluge systems are always the wrong choice. If correctly designed, the chance of false tripping should be acceptably small. Too many do not incorporate the pre-action controls which prevent that.

One should consider if this is a teaching facility or a professional venue. If it is a teaching facility, then a Fire Curtain system serves as a training tool to familiarize the students with the operation and functionality of a Fire Curtain System so they are not suprised by it's presence and understand the set design limitations of a facility equipped with a Fire Curtain.

Additionally, a Fire Curtain that is up to the current NFPA 80 Standard for Fire Doors and Other Opening Protectives can provide some security by physically separating the stage from the audience chamber to keep vandals and other unauthorized people from entering the stage area by way of the proscenium opening. This can save damage to set and scenery, theft, and reduces the likelihood that the unauthorized person might tamper with the rigging or electrical equipment in a manner that could either result in their death (or injury) or the possibility of them leaving the equipment in a condition that it could injure or kill someone else that enters the stage later (i.e. a 'booby trap', intentional or otherwise).

Keeping the Fire Curtain closed when the stage is not in use for shows or rehearsals also provides a dust barrier to keep set construction dust from migrating (air-born or by being tracked on shoes) into the audience chamber and soiling the upholstery and carpet.

Keeping the Fire Curtain closed also provides a physical barrier that can keep equipment on casters and inattentive people from wandering off the front of the stage apron and falling into the Orchestra Pit or front cross-aisle (particularly if it is dark - which is should never be, but that is a whole other conversation).

I generally don't agree with the idea that you should only have a Fire Curtain in a venue just because the Building / Fire Code requires it. Building Codes are a MINIMUM requirement. You can do more. The philosophy of "Save people, not buildings" doesn't sit well with me and the way my tax dollars are spent, either. Even if there isn't a huge database of $10M-$100M buildings being saved by a $50K Fire Curtain, there are other considerations like smoke damage and down-time due to smaller fire events. Have a Fire Curtain that works, use it, test it, and teach it. It's a much smaller investment than goes into sound, lighting, and rigging, let alone the whole building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back