Fire escape stairs

Ech725

My scenario: Design is calling for a fire escape. Now if I had a working welder and area to weld, this would not be a problem. Has anyone had any success building one out of wood that looks like steel and is also structurally sound? The ones I have seen have always looked like bulky wood. Appreciate any suggestions.

727210054_957558aac2_o.jpg

Never built one myself, but unless a wooden A-frame ladder is too bulky for you, I don't see why you couldn't make a fire escape out of wood. I don't see why you'd have to use anything bigger than a 2x4. This doesn't have to deploy like the first level of a fire escape does it? (hinged and counter weighted to be lowered by someone's weight)

Ive built stair cases like that out of wood before. Just have your scenic artist do paint treatments on it. Not that big of an issue. Cheaper too!

Never built one myself, but unless a wooden A-frame ladder is too bulky for you, I don't see why you couldn't make a fire escape out of wood. I don't see why you'd have to use anything bigger than a 2x4. This doesn't have to deploy like the first level of a fire escape does it? (hinged and counter weighted to be lowered by someone's weight)

No it doesn't have to deploy. Yeah I was contemplating 2x4 for the stringers. The designer is slightly picky about the look. I was concerned about the thinner treads.

Are 1x4s too bulky for treads? If so, maybe you could test 1/2" ply with a 1x2 on edge under the center?

No 1x4 could work. I wouldn't want to go thinner than that. Perhaps dado for a stronger joint. I'll have to see who will be going up the stairs.

I would be skeptical about 1x4 treads without any additional support. If you look at wooden ladders, they a tensioned metal rod creating some kind of brace under the treads. Maybe you could run some angle iron along the bottom of the treads.

I might try a 2x, and modify the viewable edge. Don't know how much time you have to build, but a thick piece of wood can be made to look thinner by running through a router or table saw and taking off a corner edge or two. A clever profile design and black paint can hide a large support. Most of the step will be in shadow, masked, or rear-facing anyway.

The metal rod could work. I used that for a climbable ladder for a few wrungs. But perhaps a 2x that is modified may work. These are some great suggestions.

We used to find some great things for use in sets in our local wrecking yard. If you're in a larger, older city there are probably a couple of them around. You might be able to pick up a piece of fire escape stair for the price of the scrap metal.

Yeah I've called around and no luck. I was contemplating using 2 x for the stringers and maybe making the treads out of angle iron and strap. This would be much easier if I had a welder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back