Control/Dimming First DMX Lighting system

Hello, I am very new to Lighting design and I am trying to set up a very small lighting system for a very small show that we are putting on. I have 4 American DJ Par 38BL lights, an Eliminator ED15 Dimmer pack, and a 3 pin DMX to USB adapter that I got on amazon (I believe that it is uDMX, but we have such a small budget that I could not get anything better). On my computer (windows 7) I am running freestyler. I cant get the computer to control the lights, in fact I don't know how to, I have the dmx Cable connected to the dimmer module, and a terminator also connected, I have the Dip switches set so that all 8 outlets on 4 channels are on, however I cant figure out how to control the lights from my computer. I apologize if this is a very simplistic question, however as I mentioned this is my first time doing any lighting design.

The dimmer pack will have an address setting for the starting dmx address - there are 512 possible addresses. Your software will have to be putting out signals to that same address. Check the Eliminator documentation to see how to set it. It would be helpful to all if you posted the brand/model of your USB/DMX adapter so we could determine compatibility.
You may also want to look at Cue Player Lighting (disclaimer - my software) to generate the control signals.

I would read the directions on how to setup the adapter and watch a few Tutorials on freestyler this one 1:45 secs in shows how to attach your dongle up to freestyler. IMO the reviews were horrid and the description full of grammer errors but I understand no budget.

Sorry, but I'm suspicious of that adapter. Any web page with that many grammatical/spelling errors makes me think twice. Seems to me you'd be better off with a DMXKing microUSB that's on sale now for $39. It has an internal microprocessor to control the DMX timing that I don't think your interface has. Without it, you are limited to maybe 16 channels before you see flickering on timed fades. I removed support for the Velleman interface from my software for that reason. So I may have misspoken when I suggested Cue Player for your use. Can't say for sure, the write up on your interface doesn't say one way or the other (that I saw).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back