Flashlight recommendation

lj274mvp

I currently have the streamlight Pro Tac 2L which I love for general use. The only con that I have about this flashlight is that it does not have a tight beam at longer distances. It's great for working close but not really effective for being able to see into the grid at 30+ feet and spot something out.

Can anyone recommend a flashlight that is similar in size and brightness of the ProTac but has a tighter beam/hot spot at further distances?

I'm a whore for LED Lenser products, they're bright, LED, and focus-able from a wide beam to a tight one. The P series isn't great for people that like to put their flashlight in their mouth because the end cap isn't as waterproof as one might like, but the T series are almost identical units with better water sealing. Also they're pretty common to see in various woot.com sales so if you have some time to find a replacement you can certainly find one at the right price (I think I bought the $70 MSRP T7 I carry every day for ~$30). The new 7.2 series runs at 300+ lumens which should be enough for anyone not working on an absolutely HUGE show. Also I just hate 123 batteries and refuse to buy any flashlight that uses them.

I have this Nebo Redline, purchased at Batteries and Bulbs, when they were still Batteries Plus

It was $35, and I think it's worth that. 4x zoom, excellent pattern, good color temp (5500K, I'd estimate), decent life off that three-cell AAA pack that's so common. I do wish someone would manufacture a Lithium primary battery that's that form factor at 4.5V...

Make sure you get the model with the belt clip; older models didn't have one. It's a decent clip, though not fantastic. Stays on my holster, though.

I also hate anything that uses 123 batteries. I even have a hard time keeping enough AAA batteries on hand. I might be weird... but I really like using a dive light. UK Color Kinetics Mini Q40. Impact resistant, uses AA batteries you can find growing on a tree, water proof, 311' beam throw, 500' depth rating, plastic if you need to hold it in your mouth, and you get several hours on a set of batteries. Slightly bigger then a AAA type flashlight, but you can take it anywhere.... and I mean anywhere. This one is the xenon bulb. An LED version is available for more money.

I badly need a new flashlight. I carried a Leatherman S3 for a while, and although it was super bright at small, I too hate those 123 batteries! So I (foolishly) gave LED Maglites one more chance, and of corse, just like its earlier versions, it became intermittent after just a few drops.

I've been deeply considering a couple Fenix lights, but I have't been super excited by their AA offerings. Looks like a T7 is in my future.

I'm going to add another vote for LED Lenser products. My EDC flashlight is the tiny P3 AFS P. Fantastic narrow-to-wide zoom by just pushing or pulling the front lens barrel in or out, and it's super small. I get questions about it just about every time I use it around someone who hasn't seen it yet. For the times when I know I'll be needing a bit more power I grab my P6 (new model is P6.2). Very worth the money in my opinion, and the slide focus is the best focusing I've ever used. I prefer the P6 to the P7/T7 because I like the mini-maglite form factor over the short chunky form factor. My headlamp is an LED Lenser H7 (new model is H7.2), and it has the same focus system but with a slide lever to run focus rather than pushing or pulling on the lens. Works great.

I badly need a new flashlight. I carried a Leatherman S3 for a while, and although it was super bright at small, I too hate those 123 batteries! So I (foolishly) gave LED Maglites one more chance, and of corse, just like its earlier versions, it became intermittent after just a few drops.

I've been deeply considering a couple Fenix lights, but I have't been super excited by their AA offerings. Looks like a T7 is in my future.

I've had the same problem with both of the LED maglites that have the traditional body as well. The XL50, and XL200 (my current favorite) haven't had any issues at all after being treated pretty roughly. I really like the 200 since you can adjust the brightness to whatever you want, not just whatever they have set as "low" or "high."

Ditto on the LED Lenser torches. Though it doesn't fit your distance requirement, I carry the V2 dual color and love it. I've used it consistently for something like 5 years now and it is still going strong. The only issue is that the metal is finally starting to wear away where the keychain ring attaches to the body.

Ha! I just discovered a good deal on a "SUPfire" LED with Cree emitters!

SUP Supfire?! ;)
Love those crazy knock off names!
The captions on the pictures are great!
"Diamond knurled the feel of it more comfortable"
"It is rubber of waterproof switch on the tail"
"The design of copper on the tail. Good conductivity, anti-pressure"
:lol: Good stuff!

The captions on the pictures are great!
"Diamond knurled the feel of it more comfortable"
"It is rubber of waterproof switch on the tail"
"The design of copper on the tail. Good conductivity, anti-pressure"
:lol: Good stuff!
Why does it seem like these belong in fortune cookies???:think:

Ok, necroposting here.

Curious what people are using these days for led flashlights. Rechargeable is a plus. Looking for something I can use while doing inspections. Saw an interesting review of the nitecore TM03. 2800 lumens. Only down side is you must charge the batteries outside of the unit.

So what’s the low down in 2019?

Ethan

What's your budget? What are you using it for? Do you want something with a really long throw, something floody for small areas, or something in between. What form factor are you wanting? Something small for your pocket, or something more the size of a coke can? Do you have color temp preferences? Tail or side switch? some lights with side switches also have magnetic tails, is that something your interested in? Are you set on something usb rechargeable?

Using it for Rigging inspections
Long throw
5ish inches for size. Doesn’t need it to be pocket sized, but not super big either.
Don’t care about switch position
No CT preference
Not committed to usb recharging, but do want rechargeable in some capacity.

Here's some options.

Budget light, Convoy M1. It's a nice well built little light. It's not super fancy or the latest and greatest but it'll get the job done. You'll need an external charger. I would suggest the 4000k or 5000k color temp. Most people prefer to be somewhere in that range. Nice white light. Big downside is you'll probably be waiting 2-4 weeks for it to show up.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...158.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.727c7394J327es

Mid range option 1, Emisar D1S. It's a nice light that the flashlight enthusiasts all like. It's a pretty current design with a lot of bells and whistles. The ramping UI is really nice. The head is a little larger than the other 2 lights, but this one has a lot more throw without nearly as much spill. Again, you'll need an external charger.
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=891

They also have the mini version, which is probably more suited to what you would really need performance wise. It'll have plenty of throw, but also provide more spill for general lighting. It's currently out of stock, but you could get it shipped from China and again wait a couple weeks or more.
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=876

direct from China option
https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d1-mini-thrower-p-922.html

More expensive options, honestly, I would much rather have either of the mid range options than either of these lights. Upside is they have USB charging, and come with a battery, etc. And you can get them from pretty much anywhere.

Nightcore MH25GT
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLL7PDA/?tag=controlbooth-20

Olight Warrior X
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KTT2HZD/?tag=controlbooth-20

Now onto batteries. All of these lights are powered by 18650 Li-Ion batteries. They can be dangerous, especially the unprotected models. There's really nothing stopping them from shorting out if you bridge the terminals. Now with good cells what will generally happen is they'll get hot and vent out some nasty white smoke. If your cells are of questionable quality then there is the chance they could also catch fire. Which is where the videos of some vape dudes pants catching on fire come from. The usual cause is them doing something stupid and not treating the batteries like they should. Or making some modification to their vape pen that damages the battery. So all that being said you want to make sure your buying from a trustworthy source. And Amazon is not one of those. If the battery comes with a name brand light like I posted above it's fine. But if your buying bare cells then your taking a chance you'll get fake cells. Even if your buying directly from Amazon. They co mingle their product with all the stuff from 3rd party sellers so they could easily send you a fake that one of their 3rd party sellers sent into them. As long as your not an idiot and treat the batteries with a little care and keep them in the plastic case they'll come in, or the flashlight you'll be just fine.

Some good batteries for high performance lights like the Emisar lights are the Sony US18650VTC6, or Samsung INR18650-30Q.
If you don't want to eek out every lumen possible, and would like a little more battery life then you could go with something like the Sanyo NCR18650GA, or the LG INR18650MJ1

I wouldn't recommend protected batteries for the Emisar lights, but for most lights you should be fine with them. And they make protected versions of all the cells I listed above.

Some trusted sources are
mtnelectronics.com they're usually a little more expensive, but if your buying a light from them it's usually not enough to make buying from somewhere else and paying shipping any cheaper.

https://liionwholesale.com/ is a good source if your just buying batteries/chargers.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. If you have any questions, or want more info let me know. Or you could head over to reddit.com/r/flashlight or budgetlightforum.com and look around or ask questions from the real enthusiasts there.

Honestly I’ve converted almost completely to head lights. One lives in my hardhat and another in my gig bag. Rarely do I belt carry a light anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back