Flying in small venue?

So I'm looking into doing a show that involves some actors flying ( vigils by noah haidle) I'm not sure if the space it would be performed in has any kind of flysytem/space. Can you make it appear someone is flying in a smaller venue? the play is very abstract so i can get away with mechanics being seen- i don't even have to have him actually fly- could it be done with projection/lighting?
not that we could afford this but it is awesome on the flying subject check it out: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC-i-wKRoNk[/media]

Please let me know your ideas ASAP

Last edited:
There is only one way to fly humans, and that is to call a professional. The major player in that area are: Flying by Foy, ZFX, and Hall Associates.

For more information see this article.

I'm not asking how to do it- Im asking if its possible in a smaller area... or ideas for projection to make it appear they are flying..........

I'm not asking how to do it- Im asking if its possible in a smaller area... or ideas for projection to make it appear they are flying..........

And the answer to the question of whether it's even possible is a resounding...

Maybe.

Even discounting the potential for violating CB's TOS, most of us on this site are simply not qualified to answer this question. I suspect even the professional companies listed by icewolf would be unable to answer it without first seeing the venue in question.

As for the other half of your question, we can certainly help you find alternatives to actually flying someone. There are, in fact, a couple of threads on that very subject that might be worth looking at.

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/special-f-x/9338-making-people-fly-without-using-fly-system.html

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/special-f-x/11687-flying-blackbox.html

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Take a look at the threads on "other options". If your working in a found space blackbox, odds are you probably don't have a grid capable of even carrying the rig that a flying company would bring in. Its also going to cost you at least 5k to bring in a flying company. Just some things to consider. Not saying it can't be done, because for the right price they could bring in a ground supported rig. Anything can be done for the right amount....

A Foy guy I once worked with had a story about flying Peter Pan at an elementary school, on a hole-in-the-wall-of-the-cafeteria stage, 8' max ceiling clearance. The mother of 'Peter' was bound and determined her daughter would get to fly as Peter, and was prepared to write the checks to make it happen. So, during the show, Peter would rise up about 6", fly across stage, and touch back down.... As mentioned above, the pros will do anything for the right amount of money.

You mentioned that the play was somewhat abstract - could you also tell those of us unfamiliar with the script what sort of flying motion is desired? Superman pose? Drifting ghosts? Astronauts in null-G? There's lots of ways to fake flying, but they differ in applicability depending on what posture and movement is needed.

I saw a production of Peter Pan in a black box theater that was pretty bad. Flying by Foy but brutally distracting because it was so low and lame looking.

I once worked a production of "Roosters" in a small black box theater, but with higher ceilings, that involved flying a girl straight up at the end of the show - an angel ascending kind of thing, brief and no lateral movement. It looked great, very dark with light just on her. Won't tell you how they rigged it because I'm not qualified and it's against the rules.

Last edited:
I was the Foy operator for two year on Spamalot, and I want to repeat what others have said: "If you want them to fly, hire professionals." Or as one of my professors used to say: "Think about how it would sound to a judge."

If the ceiling is under 20 ft, then there is little chance even the pros could fly they convicingly. If the ceiling is higher and there are I-beams accessable, then a professional company could fly the actor, but it would likely be a very large part of your budget.

However if you are just looking for a floating effect or you can stylize things somewhat, a floor supported rolling wagon could give you the look you want. Steel pipes covered in black duvatine can vanish pretty effectively. An ergonomically shaped supporting plate welded to the top of those steel pipes can comfortably support an actor with little to no padding, and thus fit under some of the costume.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back