Followspot Recommendations

tech2000

My boss is taking our 3 followspots into PNTA to get fixed but really wants to sell them and buy newer, lighter ones. We currently have 2 Lycian Midget HP's and an Altman Comet.

Our spot platform is about 70' from stage and total stage is 30-40' deep.

What followspots would you guys recommend?

I know we won't end up getting new lights (I think we should just fix and keep the ones we have) but my boss told me this today.

By the way, the broken lights are the midgets and one just seems to have something stuck in the fan and in the other the lamp won't turn on most of the time we turn it on.

Karl will have them both fixed and good as new in no time. I know lots of theaters using follow spots from the 70's or older on a regular basis. No reason to throw them out as long as you can get parts and fix them... it's not like there have been amazing advances in follow spot technology in the last 10 years.

Now when we some builds a plasma follow spot that'll be another story.

Since you asked for a recommendation, I would say (as I always do), check out the Robert Juliat Topaze line. They are great units and our operators really like them.

The midgets are heavy because the magnetic ballast is built into the lamp house. Sad that is the case because I would have preferred they kept is as a separate ballast box like the Satellite. Still, they are house spots so hopefully they don't get moved much. Other than that, for the throw you listed, it is a very good spot.

The only advantage to that design is that it is hard for the two to get separated on a rental. Not sure it outweighs the disadvantages. Oh, and a heavier spot tends to be less subject to jerky movements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back