For Love of Lumens

Mitchla

Hi all --

I don't know very much about projection, and was hoping I could grovel for some advice:

I'm in the Dance Department at Ohio State and we have a new blackbox theater. I've been charged with getting the projection and screen for it.

We're thinking of getting a folding frame screen that's 22 feet wide (16:9). So now the little issue of projectors...

We'll be showing 1080 videos -- live action dance-films and so need a bright, color-saturated image with deep blacks.

When I look up lumen calculators online, they're usually talking about a dark environment. But even with carefully focused stage lighting, theaters have some ambient spill. So… what would you recommend for a lumen rating of a projector on a 22 foot wide screen?

Anything else I need to be keeping in mind? Bulb technology for long life and expense? Noise?

Any suggestions for specific models?

Thanks so much for any tips.

Mitchell Rose

One of the biggest misconceptions is that lumens are the main factor in choosing a projector. There are many components in the design factor. You need to be as choosy about the screen material as you are about your projector. You need to look at the greatest contrast ratio for your saturation (avoid dynamic contrast ratios). You have a few challenges, the main one being the confined nature of the black box (dimensions of the space would help) and how to control ambient light, especially bouncing from the floor. Do you have a budget for this project (including upkeep as lamp costs will vary). Since this is a black box, you will likely want the quietest projector.

I will write more later when I'm not on my infernal self incorrectly correcting device. Feel free to provide as much information that you can about your project in the mean time.

I'm no projection expert but I say that you will be probably be much happier if it is practical to permanently install a retracting screen. Makes set up take under a minute and something that almost anyone can do. Could save you a lot of headaches in the long haul or cause more depending on the situation, use discretion and discuss it with whomever will be using the space.

Check out the following for some help on choosing a screen: STEWART FILMSCREEN - SCREEN MATERIALS OVERVIEW
http://da-lite.com/~/media/Images/DaLite/Angles Papers/DL-0313_AnglesOfReflection_EO.pdf
http://da-lite.com/~/media/Images/DaLite/Angles Papers/DL-0311_AnglesOfView_EO.pdf

How close is your audience going to be to the projected image? How much space can you afford between the screen and the nearest performer? This will possibly give you a buffer zone to minimize some ambient light.

Have you already consulted anyone on campus for this? Contact Asst. Professor Alex Oliszewski as he should be able to help you with this project (I only mention him by name as we have already been acquainted).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back