Gobo of Lights

amberjel

Does anyone know of a company that makes a gobo of a light bar (or of lights -- like a row of fresnels). I've looked through Apollo and Rosco, and couldn't find one. I can't do a custom one, I've already spent too much money. Just curious. I have other options, but it would be nice to have.

Thanks!!

So a line of Fresnels in a row, or a line of what they would do? Any chance you can just rig a bar with lights on it and fly it out when you no longer need it? That might be easiest if you have a spare lineset. Otherwise, check out Rosco, Apollo and GAM's gobo catalogs.

Although I hesitate to recommend it, if you can't find any other solutions, one can cut a design into a foil pie tin and use it as a low quality gobo. Although, it's really hard to get it to look good, so I advise you to exhaust every other available option before trying that.

Yeah, I just spent a few minutes looking through some catalogs, and I can't find anything that resembles that. And unfortunately, it's probably a unique enough need that no manufacturer would have that as a stock template. If you can describe the effect you're going for in a little more detail, perhaps we can come up with another solution.

If you want the actual image of the lights, maybe something like shiben said would work, as that'd obviously be more realistic than just a shadow of some lights. If you want a shadow that would be cast by lights, perhaps you could focus a light through one of your electrics and have the shadows land how you want them to on the stage. Or, a simple video projector (or even one of those overhead projectors you can find in high schools) might be the solution.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Does it have to be lighting fixtures? Or would Rosco pattern #77729, "Backstage", evoke a similar emotion?
proxy.php

Does it have to be lighting fixtures? Or would Rosco pattern #77729, "Backstage", evoke a similar emotion?
proxy.php

Thanks. I might end up using this one. I can not fly my electric. I was thinking about shooting a light above it, so I'd get the shadow of my own electric, but I don't think there is anywhere to mount a light above the electric. I have some breakups I can use. It was just to suggest that the scene has moved backstage.

Thanks again, everyone!

Whats the show? can you get away with focusing a bunch of lights at the audience and making the stage wash go bluish?

Whats the show? can you get away with focusing a bunch of lights at the audience and making the stage wash go bluish?

I'm doing 42nd Street and we need to make a destinction between "on stage" and backstage and rehearsal time. I thought it'd be kind of cool for the rehearsal section.

Has anyone used the truss gobos?584235.jpg
Just wondering if this would be too overpowering as texture on the stage. It'd be shot from overhead and there would be a blue wash accompanying it. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back