Hanging moving light on its side?

dpak

In my ongoing attempt to figure out to to hang our moving spots from the catwalk, I talked to someone who works for one of the national lighting/stage supply companies (I don't want to call them out here). I have two Elation Platinum Spot IIIs and in the manual it specifically says to not hang on their sides - only upright or upside down. This person said, no, don't worry, it will be fine if you hang them on their sides. Is this guy just wrong?

It would not be a permanent hang - I only put up those lights when needed, so they would be up for two to three weeks at a time, and I do have other either imperfect or expensive solutions to the problem.

If he says they can be hung sideways, ask him to use HIS units! Don’t go against mfr recommendations with your devices unless you are out of warranty AND have the cash to potentially have to replace the units.

And in any event, it's a 50lbs unit with clamps and I really hate hanging stuff like that when they weigh that much. Takes 2 people and depending on how high, etc.... it's a pain in the butt. I always prefer an 1-1/2" ID pipe sidearm rig, cheesborough'd, diagonal brace. Then it's easier to just lift the clamps onto the pipe;

Easier to program typically as well.

There is a 90% chance that the manual says that because it will put too much strain on the motors and shorten it's lifespan (which is what that guy is likely assuming).
There is a 10% chance that the manual says that because the structure inside cannot structurally support the amount of torque that orientation puts on the connection points.

10% chance of something falling and killing someone is reason enough not to do it - no matter what some guy says.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back