Help a newbie--Sound Mixer

Hi All

I'm a teacher just starting to help out with theater tech, and, though I do not know much, I'm trying to learn. So, here's my problem...

Our theater teacher recently replaced our sound mixer and, while it seems to pick up, it does not transmit to our house speakers.

Old Board-Mackie 808m FR Series 2x600 watts
New Board-Behringer Xenyx 1622fx
House Speakers-Crate PSM/i Series 12i

I'm pretty new to this sort of thing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you give some more information about your space?
Were things working with the old mixer before? Have you tried putting the old mixer back in to see if it is a mixer problem or a speaker problem?

What do you mean by pick up? Is it getting inputs and you're listening with the PFL?

Sorry I can't help much more...

Can you give some more information about your space?
Were things working with the old mixer before? Have you tried putting the old mixer back in to see if it is a mixer problem or a speaker problem?

What do you mean by pick up? Is it getting inputs and you're listening with the PFL?

Sorry I can't help much more...

The house speakers work with the old mixer and the new mixer seems to work with other speakers.

We tested the new mixer with overhead condenser mics and our wireless sets. The new mixer was receiving the input, but was not trnasmitting them to the aformentioned house speakers.

I'm not familiar with many boards, but I'll try to give you a few debugging tips:

Exactly what is plugged into your board and where (what is it, what is it plugged in to - what channel, what output, etc)? When you talk into the microphone, does the LED meter above the main mix go up?

Do you have a headset that you can plug into the board for debugging purposes?

I've moved this thread to the Sound forum as that seemed a more appropriate location for it.

It is hard to find much information on that speakers, but from the little I could find I believe it was rated 250W continuous and 1,000W peak. The Mackie mixer/amp was rated about 250-300W/channel into 8 Ohms. So based just on that and without knowing anything else, an amp rated from 250-500W per channel into 8 Ohms would probably work. Specific models would depend greatly on the potential budget.

If you get stuck you CAN run the outputs of the new mixer into the line inputs of the Mackie powered mixer, but this isn't the best solution. Also, you might benefit from having someone install this new power amp for you. See if you can throw the salesman at your local music store a few extra bucks to connect it. Getting the right gozintas and gozoutas in the right places is important.

Hi all,

You guys rock...I really appreciate the help so far.
I did some digging and here's what I found out about our speakers...

Model: Crate PSM/12i
Frequency Range(-10db): 45 HZ to 20KHZ
Sensitivity: 96db
Crossover Frequency/Slope: 2.5 kHz/12db per octave
Nominal Impediance: 8 ohms
Rated Maximum SPL: 122 dB
Power Capacity: 250 watts average/1000watts peak

Our price celing is somewhere in the $400-$500 range ish.

Does that change the recommondations in regards to the amps you've listed before?

Thanks!

Our price [ceiling] is somewhere in the $400-$500 range ish.

Does that change the recommondations in regards to the amps you've listed before?

Nope. The GX5 falls right into your budget and can be used for other things if/when expansions to the system happen. Crest makes good amps; I trust 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back