Automated Fixtures HELP!! ASAP MAC 250en & Hog 500

salsa88

I'm having trouble getting my Mac 250s running on the Hog 500.
I have 6 of them patched 1-6
The first Mac 250 in the chain is addressed 1-16
When I bring up the group @ Full i get no light. I'm I missing something?
PLEASE HELP ASAP this is a free event Im setting up for chairity for the boys and girls club tomorrow and need it up and running ASAP.
Thanks for any help.

Silly question, but are the lamps struck? Do all the fixtures pan/tilt as expected?

My info for the Martin MAC250/250+ Spot shows that in mode4 they take 13 channels each, so your addresses would be
#1: 001
#2: 014
#3: 027
#4: 040
#5: 053
#6: 066
next free: 079.

Are you using MAC 250 Kryptons, Entours, Wash, or Beam, perhaps, or the library file for said units?

Have you tried bringing them up individually and not in the group?

Did you patch them to the correct universe?

Did you terminate the run?

Thanks for the quick responses
Here is a quick rundown on what I've done sofar. I created a new show then clicked settings, patch, add fix, added 6 martin mac 250en. Next I patched the 250's 1 thru 6 @ 1 clicked enter. Then I clicked view> Fixtures and each light is patched with an addresses of 15 for example #1 is patched 1-15, #2 is patched 16-31 and so on. finally I clicked groups> mac250en> 1 thru 6 @ full. It shows the 6 mac 250's at full on the programmer screen on the monitor but nothing happens to the lights. I have them addressed #1 @ 1,#2 @ 16 and so on.

The lights are all struck as I can go into the "Demo" mode in the menu on the lights and is does everything besides pan/tilt. Although the iris is closed when ever i exit the demo menu.

They are patched to output 1 and I assume that is the first universe 1-512

I have not terminated the run, that is something I will try in the morning.

As for the patching I also read that DMX4 takes 13 channels rather then 15.
I will have to check again that it did in fact patch the for 15 channels.
however I did not see how to make sure im even on DMX4 on the light. Also the lights are not getting any data light on them. How do I check that i'm in auto mode and not manual?

Thanks again

Are you using the right profile? The "en" suffix makes me think it's the profile for a MAC 250 Entour. If you're using regular MAC250s or MAC250+ units, the Entour profile will probably not work.

And the other usual stuff - check that the lamp is struck, check that the shutter is open, and check that the fixture moves as it is supposed to.

In terms of setting the DMX mode, what exact model of MAC250s do you have?

Also the lights are not getting any data light on them. How do I check that i'm in auto mode and not manual?

No data indication would make me suspect an issue with cabling. First terminate the run, and then verify that all your DMX lines are patched correctly from the console onwards.
Try un-patching the first MAC from the rest of the chain of MACS (thus only a run from the console to the first one in the chain). If the DMX light suddenly starts working on that unit you know it's a problem further on in the signal path.

Testing cables before installation is your friend.

I'd imagine that any of the cables rented with the fixtures would of been checked before leaving the shop (but that is not always the case).

...As for the patching I also read that DMX4 takes 13 channels rather then 15.
however I did not see how to make sure im even on DMX4 on the light. Also the lights are not getting any data light on them. How do I check that i'm in auto mode and not manual?
Once you hit <menu> on the fixture you're no longer in Manual mode.

The "Data" light not lit is a clear sign the fixtures are not receiving DMX--definitely a cabling problem. Even if you had the wrong mode on the light or board, the "Data" light will be lit if the fixture is receiving DMX, even if it's not the correct DMX values.

IF the fixtures are MAC250 Entours/Kryptons, they use either 15 (16bit) or 18 (16bit Extended) channels. You set this on the fixture by hitting <menu> <up arrow> <PSET> <enter> (<16BT> or <16EX>) <enter> <Menu>.

...As for the patching I also read that DMX4 takes 13 channels rather then 15.
however I did not see how to make sure im even on DMX4 on the light. ...
IF the Fixtures are NOT Entours/Kryptons, but 250/250+s, you want to use the Hog library file "Mac 250 m4" or "Mac 250+ m4", then make sure the lights says "DMX4" under the <PERS> menu. The fixtures will then be 13 channels each.

Edit: I realize NOW may not be the best time for the OP, but for everyone else, see the thread: Too many fixture personalities. Furthering the confusion: "Oh, is that a MAC250 Spot, MAC250+ Spot, MAC250 Entour, MAC250 Krypton, MAC250 Wash, or MAC250 Beam?" Vari-lite is very-guilty of this also. Why can't all fixtures have unique names/numbers? /rant off

Last edited:
I've got a few good ideas to start with I will definitely check all the DMX unfortunately all the equipment was donated for this event as well as my time so its very possible alot of the gear might not have been QC'd.

All 6 of the MAC 250's are the Entours models. Each set to <16BT>
To terminate the last one in the chain do I loop the DMX back into itself?
In order to strike the lamp and open the shutter on the first mover in the chain do I set one of the first 15 channels @ FULL?

...To terminate the last one in the chain do I loop the DMX back into itself?...
No, you would plug a terminator (Male 3pin XLR with a 120Ω resistor connected between pins 2&3) into the last fixture. However, this is the least of your worries. Let's get them moving and lit first.

...In order to strike the lamp and open the shutter on the first mover in the chain do I set one of the first 15 channels @ FULL?
Assuming you have DMX control of the fixtures (they pan and tilt when you move the pan and tilt encoders)--
The default value on the Hog is "shutter open", so don't worry about that. To strike the lamp, select the fixtures, then press [Beam] until the "Strobe" parameter is on one of the encoders. Turn the encoder until it says "Lamp on" and leave it there for 5 seconds. <Clear> the programmer, reselect the fixtures and [@][Full], or turn the "Intensity" encoder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back