Help for a newbie please. :3

sammy

Hiya everyone

Right well basically I am a little clueless on lighting and such. And need a little advice on buying stuff.

We currently have 2 of these:
STAIRVILLE LED PAR 56 BLACK 151 LEDS RGB - Thomann UK Cyberstore

and I wanna be able to control them. To change colour, fade in and out, static colour etc.
Possibly using this??:
STAIRVILLE DDC-6 DMX CONTROLLER - Thomann UK Cyberstore

I know I need a couple of dmx cables to connect lights to controller, but can I get a splitter cable to let me control both with one controller?? (as we are a little skint and don't really need 2 controllers).

Thanks everyone. :D

Sammy xx

well first off you will need the dimmers to control the lights. something like this

Amazon.com: Leviton D4DMX-MD5 4-Channel Programmable Dimmer Pack Integrating Stand-Alone, 3-Pin DMX 15A Power Cord: Home Improvement

you would run the DMX out of the controller to the dimmer pack then you would plug up to 4 fixtures into the dimmer pack. With the controller you could have one slide for each fixture.

if you want to change the color for a fixture you will need a color scroller. like this

NEW Apollo Smart Color® PRO 10 Scroller | New Lighting - New Stage & Theatrical Lighting Equipment, LED Lighting, Trussing

these use 2 controller channels and also require a power supply in line. like this

StageSpot.com - Apollo Smart Power Supply 75W

so providing you will use the controller you are showing us you would run the DMX out of the controller and into the dimmer pack. The lights would be plugged into the dimmer pack in outlets one and two. then the DMX out of the dimmer pack and into a power supply. then run the 4 pin DMX out of the power supply and in to the first color scroller and then into the second color Scroller. next you would address the dimmer pack to start at address 5, the first scrooler to start at address 1, and the second scrooler to start at address 3. if you want the same color in both scrollers at the same time you can set both to the same address. then the first 4 slides on the controller would control the color of the two lights and the last two slides would control the intensity of the two fixtures.

if you want just one color in the fixtures all you need is the dimmer pack and the gel color you want like this

Rosco Color and Specialty Filters

then the controller would only need two sliders one for each fixture.

What James is describing is what you will need if you have a standard PAR 56 and not the LED version which you linked.

Based off of this video (quick search didn't find a manual for those), you would not need a splitter, but you would "daisy chain" the fixtures. You would use a 3-pin data cable (not microphone cable) out of the controller into the first fixture. You would then use a second cable to go out of the first fixture into the second fixture. The controller that you show should control both of these fixtures at once but not individually since each fixture requires five channels for operation.

also for those you wouldn't need a color scroller like james recommended that would be for a regular par. I've got little experience with the led fixtures but the last ones I encountered could match any of the colors in the rosco book (because of the 3 colors of leds) and were ran off a whole hog board, so im not entirely sure how the color switching works outside of that board.

Hiya everyone

Right well basically I am a little clueless on lighting and such. And need a little advice on buying stuff.

and I wanna be able to control them. To change colour, fade in and out, static colour etc.
Possibly using this??:

I know I need a couple of dmx cables to connect lights to controller, but can I get a splitter cable to let me control both with one controller?? (as we are a little skint and don't really need 2 controllers).

Sammy xx

That thing would probably work fine. You can just daisy chain the two, address both at 1, and you have both doing the same thing. Any reason you only have 2 tho?

Be very careful. Some cheap LEDs do not like having more than one unit per address.

Mike

I had the sane thought Derek buts some of the cheaper leds don't have true pass through and they can sometimes stop certain segments of the dmx from transferring.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Assuming that these two lights aren't your whole lighting system, if you already have a lighting console (board) that outputs DMX, you shouldn't need the controller. Depending on your setup, you should be able to 1) daisy chain DMX signal from the out/through on your dimmers to these fixtures or 2) run dmx from a second universe output on your console or 3) use a DMX splitter (optical isolator) to branch DMX from the run going to your dimmers. Note that you can't just make a "Y-cable" for DMX.

Then you set addresses on the lights that are unique from your dimmer numbers, and patch them to channels on your console to give you control.

And just to be sure, these DMX-controlled LED PARs CANNOT be plugged into a dimmer. They need regular wall power. Dimmer power can destroy the electronics.

The one thing with that controller you are looking at is your LEDs need 5 channels, so if you want to control your 2 LEDs separately you will need more than a 6 channel controller...

Hiya everyone

Possibly using this??:

Sammy xx

Also, are those gadget any good? For less than 100 USD those dont seem to be a terrible deal if they work well...

Also, are those gadget any good? For less than 100 USD those dont seem to be a terrible deal if they work well...

I think that the stiarville brand is kind of like the european version of the chauvet or ADJ stuff. I speculate that shipping from europe would make the price look a lot less appealling but who knows...

I think that the stiarville brand is kind of like the european version of the chauvet or ADJ stuff. I speculate that shipping from europe would make the price look a lot less appealling but who knows...

I agree. I have no intention of buying them. I already have some super cheap LED thingies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back