Control/Dimming Help identifying an old Console

mozsey

Hey all, about a year ago I designed a dance show for a local dance studio. The console I worked with was an old console, but I don't know how old. The most I remember about it is that it was analog, I'm gussing using the AMX192 protocol but I'm not certain. It required a key to turn on, yes an actual physical key. I think it was a 48 channel two scene preset. As far as I remember, it was always in two scene. 96 faders total. You could control timing through a potentiometer and it could go up to 5 minutes I think. The lower 48 faders could also be used as submasters, with 6 independent submasters to the side. If I'm not mistaken, everything to patch the board was to the side of the unit, an add on.

I wish I had snapped a picture of it, but I didn't. I hope that was enough info.

-Aaron

Any other identifying characteristics you can think of? It sounds like a 48 ch. two-scene preset console from any number of manufacturers: Strand-Century, Kliegl Bros., Colortran, Electro Controls, EDI, TTI, LMI, Teatronics, and so on.

If forced to guess, I would say some variety of Strand-Century Mantrix:
6371-help-identifying-old-console-reg_9e8ca9f1-c406-4d08-ba03-97037155f6d5.jpg

Strand Century MANTRIX 2S

Attachments

• reg_9e8ca9f1-c406-4d08-ba03-97037155f6d5.jpg
    reg_9e8ca9f1-c406-4d08-ba03-97037155f6d5.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 633
I'm with you there. The version the OP was referring to is the Mantrix 2s.

Dang, Derek beat me to it again !

The clincher was the Potentiometer. It was actually a four scene preset as there was a "hold" button. You would set all the levels, press the hold button, then you could clear all the levels. The hold button stored levels until you brought up the A or B master to full on it's respective scene. I like to regale young-uns with stories of doing a show that had 156 cues in just under 90 minutes of run time. I had a guy who stood beside me and just read off levels.
Thank God for that fade timer !

.........I like to regale young-uns with stories of doing a show that had 156 cues in just under 90 minutes of run time. I had a guy who stood beside me and just read off levels. Thank God for that fade timer !

Van, that's just a pebble in the lake. Long, Long ago, In a galaxy far, far away I learned to light shows where it took a stage hand for every 14 to 28 dimmers (not channels, dimmers), patching was with 2.5" x 6" full or half stage plugs into open porcelain sockets on the bank above the dimmer handles. Our LD learned from Jean and helped teach Theron. A musical with only 300 cues was rare. Later in my life I designed "MAME" with a 120 dimmer, ten scene preset, 600 circuit patch panel system. That's 1200 individual sliders and 600 patch cords with 360 sockets to plug into, if you want to count. The show had 382 cues, 83 of which happened in the "open a new Window" sequence. For those of you not familiar with the show, that sequence starts in Mame's home, a window unit flies in and transports Mame and young Patrick to a "new Wave" school, a 50's modern dance studio, a speakeasy, a police paddy wagon, ...... a total of 86 light cues in about 8 minutes of time. Two girls on the preset panels, two guys on the patch panel, and the guy at the main console praying the others had finished their work by the time he had to move the sub masters for the next cue. At least it was a step up from the Piano Board era.

Last edited:
If you want one, there's one on eBay right now ;).

Excuse me, there are five on eBay right now.

Haha, no. I didn't want one. I was talking to one of the gals in the show, and remembered that I hated doing a dance show with that console. I almost went out and rented an Express!

You sure? There's one for $9.99 buy-it-now. If you have a hammer around, you could definitely relieve some anger and pent up frustrations. ;)

Well Les, quick question I hope you read it, is there a converter that will let me use this on a DMX based system. I guess I could always use one to teach the underlings before they get to the ION or smartfade.

Well Les, quick question I hope you read it, is there a converter that will let me use this on a DMX based system. I guess I could always use one to teach the underlings before they get to the ION or smartfade.

I don't even know what protocol it uses to search for a converter... From the manual, it must be something proprietary. To be honest, I think trying to teach on that, then move to other concepts on the other console may be more confusing then anything. It's one thing to teach basic lighting design with something small like that, and trying to teach how the system works, and the console "thinks" with something completely different.

I don't even know what protocol it uses to search for a converter... From the manual, it must be something proprietary. To be honest, I think trying to teach on that, then move to other concepts on the other console may be more confusing then anything. It's one thing to teach basic lighting design with something small like that, and trying to teach how the system works, and the console "thinks" with something completely different.
Well it would be more of a, "this is how you bring a slider up, this is how you make a look using faders." and the moving on from that to how to save on digital boards.

I don't even know what protocol it uses to search for a converter... From the manual, it must be something proprietary. ...
Well, you're sort of correct. From its introduction in 1979 to 1986, it used the proprietary CD80 protocol, which later became AMX192.

Here is one protocol converter: Theatrical Lighting AMX to DMX Protocol Converter and Auto Sequence Control Device, N0501-3 : Lighting Control Networking . They are rare because few want to use an older console with newer dimmers. Normally the consoles expire long before dimmers. On the other hand, the Mantrix had many desirable features which even today's "modern" two-scene preset boards lack.

And it's not all that different from a SmartFade, just simpler and easier to use.

Last edited:
Well, you're sort of correct. From its introduction in 1979 to 1986, it used the proprietary CD80 protocol, which later became AMX192.

Here is one protocol converter: Theatrical Lighting AMX to DMX Protocol Converter and Auto Sequence Control Device, N0501-3 : Lighting Control Networking . They are rare because few want to use an older console with newer dimmers. Normally the consoles expire long before dimmers. On the other hand, the Mantrix had many desirable features which even today's "modern" two-scene preset boards lack.

And it's not all that different from a SmartFade, just simpler and easier to use.
So it would be an okay idea to use this to teach?

I think for basic things, yes, but do keep in mind that there's no guarantee the board in question even works at all. I appears that it at least needs some fader caps and possibly a new fader (potentiometer). Lack of these parts wouldn't render the unit unusable, but it's certainly a gamble if you're also going to fork over the money for a converter to even test it. That said, really old (but good condition) boards pop up on eBay fairly regularly. Not many for $9.99, though.

I think for basic things, yes, but do keep in mind that there's no guarantee the board in question even works at all. I appears that it at least needs some fader caps and possibly a new fader (potentiometer). Lack of these parts wouldn't render the unit unusable, but it's certainly a gamble if you're also going to fork over the money for a converter to even test it. That said, really old (but good condition) boards pop up on eBay fairly regularly. Not many for $9.99, though.

I just cleaned out some spare parts for a mantrix. I think I have a working Lightboard M on the shelves.

BTW I like boards with an ignition key :) One thing with the older boards without an opearting system at least when you turn the key they start up real quick - especially if you give them some "choke" on a cold morning.:lol:

reading this thread makes me feel old. We should have a poll on who has run shows on the different generations of boards/dimmers:

resistance
saturated reactance
SCR/analogue control multipreset
and so on

reading this thread makes me feel old. We should have a poll on who has run shows on the different generations of boards/dimmers:

resistance
saturated reactance
SCR/analogue control multipreset
and so on
Well, we had this thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/6739-your-first-memory-lighting-console.html which degenerated somewhat into "I memorized my cues, so it must have been a memory board." See also the collaborative article: Memory Lighting Control Systems, History - ControlBooth .

Key number was 2001 (think HAL 9k) and the mantrix had everything but an X and Y

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back